Question on Ryobi 16/32 Sander

I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new (still in the box) Ryobi 16/32 Sander, complete with stand kit and a ton of sanding belts for it (all assorted grits), for $600. Can anyone tell me if you have this unit, or if this is a good price?
Thanks
-George-
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:22:45 -0500, "George Gibeau"

that's about the cost of a performax. I'd get the performax....
I checked on the Performax 16/32 on Amazon, and the unit, with stand and assorted grit belts comes to around ~$1,100 - - Can you tell me where I can get the Performax 16/32 for close to $600.
Thanks
-George-

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 23:07:40 -0500, "George Gibeau"

mine was about $700 or so a year and a half ago from a local store with the mfr's frequent $50 coupon.
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in wrote:

Mine was about $800 in June at Rockler.
The only thing I would advise is to make certain that you really want the sander. I haven't used mine nearly as much as I thought I would. It may be a learning curve thing, but I'm finding it somewhat fiddly to use over 16" wide.
Patriarch, thinking just how much Lie-Nielsen $800 buys....

(all
if
Must be hot at that price....or used??
--
Jon Down
I would get the Performax -- particularly for an asking price of $600. I paid between $300 and $400 for mine (without the stand) and have not been happy with it. My biggest gripe is that it's just about impossible to connect the right hand side of the belt. It's so difficult, I don't even attempt to do it any more, just wrap a strip of duct tape around that part of the drum. Also, be aware that Ryobi no longer produces this sander.

Talked to him today and he came down to $500 - still not sure - but thanks for the info.
-George-