Question on Rail and Stile measurements

Page 2 of 2

Here are 2 links with drawings that will show what a rail and stile are and how to make them.
Router bits and a drawing of a rail mated to the side of a stile. http://www.infinitytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number -100&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=7
And direction of how to make rail and stiles with a rail and stile bit.
http://www.infinitytools.com/PDF/RailandStile.pdf
MLCS offers its Cabinet Door Software. The software does the calculations and produces a cut list. I recently used it on an inset door project and it worked very well. It can even produce labels for the individual cut pieces.
bdeditch wrote:

The simple calculations assume you are cutting exacly the depth of your cutter width. I actually take a little heavier cut, effectively letting the cutter joint off a little wood, so I start with a little extra length and maybe take a couple of cuts to sneak up on the length I want. The sad truth is that I'll usually leave the rails a little long and trim to the final dimension with the edge cutter. It sounds lazy and sloppy. OK, it really is lazy and sloppy, but no one has ever put a caliper on any of my doors to see if all the pieces are of equal or nominal width. I've never been able to fix a door once I got the rails too short, except when I make the doors before the face frame and can adjust the openings by widening the face frame stock. Wilson

(DL - 2xRW) + 2xGD = Stile Length
DL - Desired Length
RW - Rail Width
GD - Gro0ve Depth ( the groove on the rail that hold the stiles and panels)
In your example:
(18" - 2x3") + 2x3/8"=Stile Length (18" - 6") + 3/4"=Stile Length (12") + 3/4"=Stile Length 12 3/4" = Stile Length

The simple answer. Add double the depth of the cut in the Stile to the Rail length, Minus double the width of the Stile.

Well, give it a little thought. If uncut, 1x3 stiles and 12" rails will give you an 18" wide door. If you cut the rails only 11-1/2" long, there will be a 1/4" gap between the rail and stiles. Will routing away some of that wood fill this gap? <g>

You might want to check out some software I've developed that is based on Microsoft Excel. I believe it would make your job much easier. Check out CabinetCRUNCHER at www.cabinetcruncher.com or let me know if you have any questions - thanks.
Tom Helle www.cabinetcruncher.com
Tom,
That's an impressive suite of software. I took a quick look at the User Guide and from what I read, it looks to be decent documentation. One bit of confusion is the "packages" and if you only purchase say one package, then add the others later - there is no seamless integration. You have to open each program independently is what I read or purchase the full package for a fully integrated workflow. Is there an "upgrade" path that will allow integration of the packages?
The warranty is only good for 30 days and you don't address updates or bug fixes that I read - perhaps I just missed it someplace. I have a lot of software and doubtful that I get to exercise all the features in 30 days. One wouldn't know how accurate your cut sheets truly are until they cut some wood. If the software is good - why not extend the warranty out to 90 days minimum or offer a trial version - perhaps even a crippled version - as much as I hate that kind of software but I understand the need to protect your investment too.
Bob S.

Bob,
Thanks for your reply. Each of the applications are actually separate files that can either be accessed independently or they can be opened via hyperlinks on each of the main menues. At some point, we will probably offer each of the applications independently but expect that it will be much more cost effective to purchase one of the packages similar to those currently offered.
Regarding software updates and bug fixes, we do provide updated versions upon request. Based on excellent customer feedback we've received thus far, the 30 day trial period has not yet been an issue but your point is well taken. We've contemplated some sort of trial version but haven't quite gotten that far yet.
Thanks again and let me know if we can provide any further information.
Tom Helle www.cabinetcruncher.com