You mean the part of the stile that disappears inside rail. The stile is the tenon inside the rail. The rail gets the mortise and does not get shorter. Go look at rail.stile door and rethink this.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

nope, you've got it bward pete.

Reply to
noonenparticular

You have that all bassackwards.

I have probably looked at and built 4 or 5 hundred. The STILE has 1 side milled for the joint and that is it. The Rail is milled on 1 side and both ends to mate with the Stile. The ends disappear into the Stiles.

Reply to
Leon

Bzzzzt ... think (rethink) again ... In traditional woodworking joinery, rails have tenons, stiles have mortises.

Be careful, like trains that jump the tracks (rails), whether you jump a fence or a frame, it's the rails that'll trip you up.

Reply to
Swingman

Here are 2 links with drawings that will show what a rail and stile are and how to make them.

Router bits and a drawing of a rail mated to the side of a stile.

direction of how to make rail and stiles with a rail and stile bit.

Leon

I understand where he was coming from - with a cope and stick joint, there is the appearence of a bit of the rail entering the stile, even thought that isn't really what is happening.

--Wade

Reply to
Wade Berlin

You might want to check out some software I've developed that is based on Microsoft Excel. I believe it would make your job much easier. Check out CabinetCRUNCHER at

or let me know if you have any questions - thanks.

Tom Helle

a-better-builder

Tom,

That's an impressive suite of software. I took a quick look at the User Guide and from what I read, it looks to be decent documentation. One bit of confusion is the "packages" and if you only purchase say one package, then add the others later - there is no seamless integration. You have to open each program independently is what I read or purchase the full package for a fully integrated workflow. Is there an "upgrade" path that will allow integration of the packages?

The warranty is only good for 30 days and you don't address updates or bug fixes that I read - perhaps I just missed it someplace. I have a lot of software and doubtful that I get to exercise all the features in 30 days. One wouldn't know how accurate your cut sheets truly are until they cut some wood. If the software is good - why not extend the warranty out to 90 days minimum or offer a trial version - perhaps even a crippled version - as much as I hate that kind of software but I understand the need to protect your investment too.

Bob S.

Reply to
none

Bob,

Thanks for your reply. Each of the applications are actually separate files that can either be accessed independently or they can be opened via hyperlinks on each of the main menues. At some point, we will probably offer each of the applications independently but expect that it will be much more cost effective to purchase one of the packages similar to those currently offered.

Regarding software updates and bug fixes, we do provide updated versions upon request. Based on excellent customer feedback we've received thus far, the 30 day trial period has not yet been an issue but your point is well taken. We've contemplated some sort of trial version but haven't quite gotten that far yet.

Thanks again and let me know if we can provide any further information.

Tom Helle

a-better-builder