question on proper table saw use

My last woodworking related trip to the ER involved a table saw and was no doubt statistically reported that way ... although the saw did not have a blade on it at the time, and was even not plugged in.

I was installing a _safety_ device ... a Uniguard, and inadvertently turned it into the business end of a guillotine in the process ... 13 stitches, and a numb to this day, but still functional, thumb.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman May I award you ............. what would that award be? ;~)

Injured by a TS safety device.

Glad to hear that you came out mostly OK. Just goes to show you, you cannot be too careful around big equipment.

Reply to
Leon

Ouch!

I had a TS injury just yesterday too.

After 60 years of Arizona sunshine, many of them spent, in the pre-airconditioning days, driving around with my left forearm resting on the car door, my skin is so damaged than just a little pressure on it will leave a purple blotch.

I walked around the TS and bumped my forearm on the corner of the back angle iron rail and left a half-dollar size patch of skin and hair behind. Damn I hate that.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

LOL ... More like a National Enquirer headline, instead of an award:

"Dumb Sh*t Injured By A TS Safety Device"

It's been over a year now ... anyone reading this who attempts to install a Uniguard by themselves, get some help!

Reply to
Swingman

Yes- that's what the miter guage is for (the "T" shaped thing that slides in those slot thingies). If the board is too long to safely handle on the saw, cut it close to size with a handsaw first.

Actually, this might possibly lead to a kickback, as with the blade set low, the force of the blade is running almost parallel to the board and tabletop- this makes it much easier for the blade to "kick" the board. If the blade is raised as high as possible, it will run almost straight down, helping to force the board down onto the table. Just be sure to keep your hands clear of the blade.

Reply to
Steve Kreitler

Snip

Well, actually Kick Back is most often caused by the back of the blade lifting the board and throwing it back when it becomes jammed between the blade and the fence. The higher the blade the more likely of a jam and the blade throwing the board higher. The blade should be high enough for the teeth to clear the top of the board and that is it.

Reply to
Leon