Question on Hinging a Cabinet Lid

Got my first piece of furniture about 80% done this weekend. It's a chest of drawers, except the top drawer isn't one, it's just a false front. The lid is going to be hinged, so it lifts up to provide access to the top compartment.
The lid is 18 X 32X 5/8 glued up walnut, so it has a bit of weight to it.
1. How much hinging (or how many hinges of what dimensions) do I need? Suggestions on type? I ask that because every jewelry box I've built has given me fits mortising in the hinges and having the top close straight.
2. The back rail is 2 1/8 X 29 X 5/8, also walnut. Do I need to double it up to support the lid's weight and reduce the effect of twist racking as the lid is opened/closed? It's half lapped to the verticals that hold the rail and stile sides up and through M&T'd into the stiles, so it's glued up pretty solid - but that much twisting force concerns me a bit.
As a point of interest, all the drawer facings (they're ash drawers, dovetailed fronts, rabbet and dado rears) are book matched glued up panels. I bought 4" - 5 " wide 6/4s, re-sawed them on the table saw (that was some fun cutting, even with a sled on the fence!), and glued them up as 1/2" panels for the drawer faces. Cheaper than buying 10" wide walnut, even if I could have found any.
Pics are at
http://web2.airmail.net/xleanone/index.html/Cabinet /
The cabinet will hold the knife collection also pictured there. Keeping sharp blades out of #1 grandson's paws!
Any help will be appreciated.
Regards.
Tom
Add pictures here
✖
Tom Banes wrote:

I was looking in homedepot for this type of hinge but could not see any? Maybe you could source it elswhere in the states?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId £33011&ts223&id”004
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Add pictures here
✖

They sell those at home depot.
Add pictures here
✖
Locutus wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId £33011&ts223&id”004
Fine,please do post the link to them?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Add pictures here
✖
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

They don't appear to be listed on either the US or Canadian Home Depot website. However, I have seen them in the store.
They're usually called "piano hinge" or "continuous hinge".
Chris
Add pictures here
✖

I can't find them on the website, but I have bought several of them from Home Depot.
Add pictures here
✖
If the size isn't what you need, order the larger size and cut it down to the size you need. Cheers, cc
Add pictures here
✖
Milord:
Here in the colonies they're referred to as "piano hinges" and are commonly avaialable. I am considering using said hinges on the top.
Thanks.
Ta.
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:43:02 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

Add pictures here
✖