Question on drawer fronts

Hi All,

I am making a country chest of drawers out of pine for a neighbor. I assembled the carcass and put the spreaders in and made sure the carcass was square. Then I installed the drawer slides. I am using the blum drawer slide along with the jig to make sure the slides fit square. Then I made a mockup drawer to see how it fits in the cabinet. I got the mockup to fit flush and square on all sides. I copied the assembly of the mockup and made five more drawers (one at a time) and they are also square. I waited to buy the drawer fronts until all the drawers were glued up. So now to my problem I cut a drawer front out and mounted it to the drawer put the drawer in and the drawer hits on the top and sticks out on the bottom. I have been stumped by this for a few days and I still don't know what to do. The drawing below is basically what the problem is. It is about an 1/8 in out on the bottom. Dresser | \/ ___ | | | | ___| | / /| | / /| | Drawer----------> / /| | / / | | / / | | / / | | / _ / | | | | |___|

Thanks for any input, Tim

Reply to
Tim Pietsek

I have never had much luck using glide installation tools. If your drawer is square and the drawer front is flat; just move the rear of glides up until the drawer front lays flat (do not move the front end of the glides). Easy way is to lay the chest on it's back with the drawers and glides in place (with only front screws in glides) and then tie down the back of the glides. This lets the drawer fronts lay flat on the face so that you can locate the rear of the glides.

Reply to
Alan Bierbaum

If you are using a dovetail jig in the drawer construction? If so it may be that the stops on either side of the jig are not set perpendicular to the jig.

Nova

Redo the hardware on the drawers so the drawer without the attached front is sitting about 1/8th deep into the carcass, so when you put on the drawer fronts they will be flush

John

Reply to
John Crea