Question for you Sawstop users

(And I really don't want to start another thread with people criticising the Sawstop) Can you make your own zero clearance inserts? Do they provide special blanks if you wanted to make your own? (If this topic was covered I missed it, sorry.)
Thanks, Marc (and these are sincere questions, not trying to start another
Add pictures here
✖

Many/most woodworkers eventually do get around to making their own inserts. DAGS "making table saw inserts" for more instruction on how to do it than you'd ever want to read.

You probably could buy blanks, but most make them out of suitable sheet material they buy themselves. I've you're going to spend the money buying special blanks, then you might was well go one step further and buy finished inserts ready to use.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/10/2012 12:33 AM, Dave wrote:

There's nothing to making your own. Anyone who does woodworking should be able to, and not is just a waste of money. I cover mine with formica, to make it slide easier.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 10, 8:46 pm, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

So you have a Sawstop? I just want to know if THAT saw can be fitted with a homemade zero clearance insert. Is there any chance that this might affect the saferty features in the saw? Would you still be able to attach the guard system with a ZCI? Marc
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:17:25 -0800 (PST), marc rosen

Well, going by the description of the SawStop zero clearance insert, there doesn't seem to be any component part of it that would or would not affect its operation. http://www.sawstop.com/zero-clearance-inserts /
Going by the comments of this guy, (3rd down) there seems to be no reason at all not to make your own. http://lumberjocks.com/topics/25870
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/11/2012 4:31 AM, Dave wrote:

I did the releiving that way once, never again I just thin the whole edge out so it sits lower. either use screws or set screws, because the sawdust is a pain when on the landings.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 16:04:30 -0700, tiredofspam wrote

I finally tried the hot melt glue trick* instead of set screws. Still have the problem of sawdust on the pads, but not having to drill and thread those set screw holes is a bonus.
*Put some wax on your saw table insert tabs so the hot melt glue wont stick, apply a blob to each tab, press in your insert until flush with the table top, hold till dry. Basically this makes 'perfect' shims for each tab.
-Bruce
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/10/2012 9:17 PM, marc rosen wrote:

I do not. It has a beautiful zero clearance insert already but you will need to make one as time goes on. There is not reason that anything should prevent it. go take a look at the one in any of the stores selling it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 20:46:11 -0500, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com>

There's many types of suitable material for making inserts. I bought a 4x8 sheet of acrylic for an entertainment centre cabinet doors and shelving. Had about 25% of it left when I was finished and have used various cut off pieces of that for inserts.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/11/2012 4:24 AM, Dave wrote:

I use mdf and formica but I bought some cheaper cutting boards feels like uhmw plastic probably just recycled coke bottles, to use for my next one. They look about the right thickness will probably hold screws well so when I need my next, I'll give it a whirl... but yes anything can work.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sunday, December 9, 2012 7:18:43 PM UTC-8, marc rosen wrote:

Never made on for my SS but is quite obvious you could make your own. As long as the material you choose isn't wet wood or meat it won't trigger the brake.
That being said; they have a nice locking mechanisim and you'll need to make space for the riving knife if you want the upper guard in place. It has 4 nice little pads for leveling screws, one at each corner.
I rarely really must have actual "Zero" and when I do I usually lay down a piece of 1/8" something for the few cust I need.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sunday, December 9, 2012 7:18:43 PM UTC-8, marc rosen wrote:

"CAUTION! Do not use table inserts with metal or other electrically-conductive parts that could contact the blade. This can cause the brake to be activated unnecessarily."
Add pictures here
✖
Hi Sonoma, Thanks for that. I saw the SS provided insert with its locking mechanism and wondered about home made units. It's not convenient to stop at a dealer right now and i thought asking this crowd might produce a few good answers. Read you later, Marc
Add pictures here
✖