question for you contactor pros.

Page 2 of 2
On 3/28/2014 2:12 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I've never gotten a permit for interior work in my own house. OTOH, I saw a homeowner wire all the receptacles he added using lamp cord. He was going to put up paneling.
When doing commercial work, we did get permits for anything but small jobs.
On 3/28/2014 11:00 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Only permit I have been required to pull was for a panel upgrade, 100 square foot shed and under requires no permit, I check the city's website for limits and sizes before I do anything.
I have added several circuits to the panel since the upgrade, which was done my an electrician friend of mine. Couple years ago had a floating neutral, turns out the problem was outside of the house, city problem, they came and checked my panel first, the guy popped it open, poked and prodded, buttoned it back up and said "This is the best looking panel I have seen in a long time", we will have a crew here shortly to track it down outside.
--
Froz...

I haven't either. The only permit I've taken out was to build a garage. Amazingly, it came in at $9,999.99. ;-)
Yeah, I've seen houses wired with zip cord. OTOH, I've also seen some pretty shoddy work from original builders, too. I've found serious issues with every house I've owned. I do a far better job than the original electricians of any of them did.

Sure. The stakes are a lot higher than a homeowner putting up a few sheets of paneling.
On Friday, March 28, 2014 1:12:54 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
*> Is this normal?
*I'm not a contractor, but I play one on the internet. :) (Just couldn't resist that!).
I'm a stickler for getting permits and having a certified contractor do the work, but I have done lots of small projects, myself. In my area, permits aren't expensive. The last electrical permits, I had, cost $2 per circuit . I don't recall, for sure, but my construction permits may have cost $10 per minimum-moderate size improvement project. In the case of my shop remo del, since it's taking me so long to do it, I have to update the permits (w ith fee) every 6 months. The physical effort(s), to get them, were/is nomi nal, also.
My analogy: it's easier to smile, than to frown; It's less effort, all aro und, to be nice, than to be mean. Sometimes, when I hear of folks trying t o save money or dodge rules and regs (or aspects of), I get a sense that th ey may cut corners with the actual work or construction, also. As Karl es sentially says, the standards are in place for a number of good reasons (pe rsonal & community safety, quality, etc.), though some R&Rs seem foolish.
Probably the best bet, if/when in doubt, is simply to ask and learn, before diving into a project. Inquiring and learning doesn't cost a thing, usual ly, and being best prepared is mind-settling, as well.
Sonny

Because as a firestop its purpose is to restrict air to a fire within the walls.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Of course they would with you. Your pink house would stand out like a sore thumb.
:)
We have a mixed bag of requirements on that here in San Antonio. We are la rge city that has expanded to engulf many smaller cities and incorporations . All of them have their own rules and regulations.
In San Antonio itself, you can perform just about any kind of >>repairs or maintenance<< you want yourself as long as you conform to the Southern Buil ding Codes. You can paint, fix your fence, replace a window, fix your roof , plant grass, replace a faucet, and install paneling if you want with no p ermits.
But you cannot change the profile of the domicile in any way. So no room ad ditions, no patio covers, no fireplaces, no dormers, etc. Also, no mechani cal work of any kind. While you can replace an electrical plug or switch ( considered maintenance)or replace a light fixture, you can't do much else w ithout a permit. No circuits, wiring of any type or replacement or upgrade of service without permits and inspections. Same guidelines for plumbing and air conditioning.
The catch? If a city building inspector or code compliance officer drives b y and you are doing more than allowed or are not doing it to Southern Build ing Code (and San Antonio local codes)they can make you stop on the spot. A ticket follows that depending on the violation can generate up to a $5000 fine. Also, no work can commence until a full, written scope of work submi tted by a city licensed contractor, and if needed, drawings. Those have to be approved by the city. To add to the cost, you have 10 days to comply and may not do anything to the stopped work without risking further fines. Als o, since it is now considered an "expedited" project, approval fees double, inspection fees double, and all fines must be paid up front before work ca n commence.
That's the penalties for a homeowner. As a contractor, it is much nastier and they can prevent you from working at all if you are a repeat offender.
On the other hand, some of our little encapsulated burgs require permits fo r anything. I mean anything. They do NO inspections during or at the end of the job unless it is a huge job. If it is a roof, siding replacement, w indows, etc., you apply for a permit at which time you "promise" to install the item specified to the manufacturer's specifications and in compliance with all applicable codes. While they do no follow up, they will fine you a s much as they can if they catch you doing anything without a permit.
Personally, I am of a mixed mind on this subject. Overwhelmed homeowners t hat want to play contractor after watching a steady diet of tattooed, pierc ed 20 somethings and bossy women that can run rough shod over experienced c ontractors on TV make up about 1/3 of my clients. Unless these folks were b old/foolish enough to play contractor they wouldn't be nearly as grateful t o me for taking charge when they have enough of it all. I get a lot of refe rrals simply from folks that start a project, can't finish it, and someone gives them my name. Works for me.
The other aspect of it is that once folks get screwed by a fly by night unq ualified contractor they are usually much easier to work with and will pay more to get more. I hate to see a homeowner that wants to try something ne w for themselves or is trying to be more self reliant get screwed. Likewis e if they just don't have the money to hire a professional to do some maint enance. But I can't help but laugh when one of these TV educated contractor s gets a REAL education in contracting and code compliance in the real worl d.
Robert

So that's a money grab.. they are not even ensuring it's built correct. So what are you getting for your money?

--
Jeff

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:07:16 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

As a contractor I get absolutely nothing. In most of the small incorporati ons they they nothing as well. In those small towns the city inspections d epartment is often run by the city fire chief, the second in command in the police department or a deputy mayor. You can guess what they know about b uilding trades.
You apply for inspections on one, possibly two days a week between certain hours. If the concerned folks of the inspection department are busy, you wa it until the following week. IT IS ONLY A MONEY GRAB. PERIOD.
We have some good inspectors here in San Antonio, pretty well trained. All contractors know about the painful experience of getting a permit for the small entities so we price accordingly.
Robert