Question for Tom Watson about his chessboard

Tom,
In the final photo of your example
http://picasaweb.google.com/tjwatson11/ChessboardConstruction#5411877468176239730
Is that zebra wood you use for the frame. If not can you tell me what you did use. In the past I have use zebra wood but it ain't cheap.
If it is OK with you, I may copy your design for a PTA fundraiser donation.
I love the raised board look - very cool.
Larry C
I see from your post that you have worked with Zebrawood. I will be working with it on my next project. Do you have any tips or cautions before I start. From the feel of it I might have tear out problems when planing it.
TIA
Russ

http://picasaweb.google.com/tjwatson11/ChessboardConstruction#5411877468176239730

Russ
I am a little nervous giving advice. I am almost always one of the "askers" in this news group. There are many here WAY more skilled and knowledgeable then me. So with that out of the way.
Some of my experience with Zebra wood is it doesn't really tear out when planing but the face feels like the end grain on other wood. It sanded out just fine afterwards.
But with other pieces of Zebra wood it has milled just fine and was smooth to the touch after planing.
I have used it a few times for some checkerboards I have made to there was no "issue" that some sandpaper couldn't solve.
I am sure someone else can better explain its properties than me.
How is that for a non-answer answer with a disclaimer beforehand.
Larry C

I tried working with it once, and the tearout was awful. May have just been a bad piece, but I've not been tempted to do it again.
If you're planing by hand or power, very light passes, methinks.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tjwatson11/ChessboardConstruction#5411877468176239730
I would call that Walnut.
Zebra is typically not that dark and the grain is greatly darker than the rest of the wood.

It is walnut.