Question for those who wear glasses . . .

Page 2 of 3

wrote in message news:1rfvd.9870>

Actually my prescription isn't really very strong and the glasses are fairly small and very light weight. The lightest ones I could get. The lightest ones I could get without getting "grandpa" glasses (half lens reading glasses). But I do need them to see things that are close to me, like say up to a yard away. Get out past the length of my arm (maybe two arm lengths now) and I can see just hunkey dory. The problem with a face shield (which I could easily wear) is that it doesn't seem like it would prevent the fine airborn sawdust from coming in behind it so I would still need a dust mask to cover my nose and mouth. After all, my glasses get the sawdust on both sides of the lenses so I would think a face shield, while it would help some, is not the answer I am looking for. It is the dust mask that I am having a problem with. It dislocates my glasses just enough to be a pita and to introduce a lot of distortion and glare.
So after writing this I see some possible solutions. 1. Get glasses that weigh a ton. 2. Glue them onto my face so they can't move. 3. Get some arm extenders so I can run the sander from two arm lengths. 4. Don't sand.
Wayne
You can wear the glasses under a full face shield.

I wear glasses and wear protective goggles over the top without any difficulty.
I can also wear dust masks of various types with the glasses and goggles -- they don't interfere with the glasses -- BUT -- if I breathe, my glasses mist over and I can't see. And I can't hold my breath long enough to do anything meaningful!!
The idea of a full face shield sounds a good one, but how does that prevent breathing in dust and fumes?
Malcolm Webb
Malcolm Webb wrote:

Fumes, not at all. Dust, not the really fine stuff that's what you're supposed to really be watching out for. It does keep *some* dust out of your nose just by deflecting the rooster tail of chips that are flying off your TS or lathe straight at your face.
snipped-for-privacy@cix.co.uk says...

They didn't fogup your glasses. So far (several years) that's been true for mine.
BTW, I have no affiliation with, or interest in, DustBeeGone. I just know they have a relatively inexpensive product that works with glasses.

Discovered the existence of DustBeeGone while surfing the net yesterday (before receiving this post) and found that the only place they are available here in the UK is at Turners Retreat, Harworth, Notts at a cost of UK25. Never heard of Turners Retreat before and they happen to be within 20 miles of where I live. I passed their place on my way home from a breakfast meeting this morning without going out of my way, so called in and bought one. I've been wearing it ever since just to test it and can breathe normally without fogging up my glasses. FANTASTIC. I highly recommend fellow glasses-wearers to invest in one.
Malcolm Webb

then you need a dust mask the vents the air a different way. like the 3m half face mask.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:30:50 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

I wear glasses and a dust mask. I use the DustFoe 66 which is very comfortable and does not interfere with my glasses. The DustFoe 66 is no longer available but there is a replacement. It was about $30 and well worth it.
Sat, Dec 11, 2004, 6:30pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net (NoOneNParticular) claims: <snip> I can't wear a dust mask and glasses at the same time <snip> Sothe question is, what do you wearers of glasses do?
I have no idea what kind of dust mask you have, but mine has two replaceable filters, and I have no problems at all. I put the dust mask on, then the glasses. No prob. Maybe you need to get another brand.
JOAT We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails. - unknown
I use those "nuisance dust masks" which are admittedly not as protective as the more elaborate types but they do well enough, perhaps because I have no particular allergies. They are also a whole lot cheaper. The brand I have at the moment is Tufpro, which cost $8.95 for a box of 50 and I often use them more than once. There is a little bendable wire in the upper portion which folds down over the nose and my glasses fit over it just fine. I probably bought them at a hardware store but there are lots of brands.
Bob Moody
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:30:50 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

I have prescription safety glasses with side shields. When hand sanding or working with MDF, I use a 3M rubber respirator, like this: <(Amazon.com product link shortened)02793840/sr=1-16/ref=sr_1_16/104-0663799-8626336?v=glance&s=hi> You may have to experiment to find a combination of glasses frame and mask that fits. I took the dust mask to the optometrist when I got fitted for the safety glasses. It's not a perfect fit, but it works.
When power sanding, I dispose of the mask in favor of a HEPA equipped Shop Vac attached to the sander. Very little dust escapes the suction, and I find the mask unnecessary.
Outside the shop, I wear contacts, but they are very uncomfortable in a dusty environment.
Barry
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:30:50 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

dust collection on the sander.
NoOne N Particular wrote:

I'm with the suggestion that you try different dust masks. I've got some of the cheapo white jobs, and a cartridge respirator with a whole buncha back of the head straps and stuff. I don't actually wear my seeing glasses out in the shop because I don't need to, but I wear safety glasses for just about everything. I have problems with these masks not sealing very well because I refuse to shave off my beard, but I don't think safety glasses have anything to do with it, and my safety glasses are bigger and bulkier than my seeing glasses.
It could be a shape-of-the-face thing too, in which case your choices are one of those head gear positive air pressure deals, or a snorkel thing. I saw a snorkel thing once. I didn't buy it at the time, and I don't remember what it was, or where I found it. It had a mouthpiece like a snorkel, and went around to a cartridge on your hat or something. I think you had to wear a nose clip to seal your nose. That would be just the trick with my beard, since I ain't shavin'. If it would work. I obviously haven't tried one.
When making a little bit of dust, I use a typical surgical face mask which fits OK with my glasses. When painting, I have a rubbery mask with a couple of filters on the sides that will also work with the glasses. I'm not sure why you're having the problem. I get the mask well sealed and then put the glasses on. The nose piece of the glasses sits on the upper margin of the dust mask.
bob g.
ps The masks are either 3-M 8210s or US Safety 100 M
NoOne N Particular wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:49:21 -0600, Robert Galloway
Maybe the OP wears those paper masks with the metal torture clip? I don't think I could wear my glasses with one of them..

snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net says...

ago. Doesn't interfere with my glasses, doesn't fog my glasses, and still works after many uses and washings. Take a look at:
http://www.dustbeegone.com/about/features.html

My glasses have pretty small lenses. They don't interfere with my dust mask. My dust mask is a dustfoe.
That said, I like the idea of hookin' the shop vac to the sanders. I'll be looking into that. Not 'cause I don't want to wear a mask, but more to keep the shop/house cleaner.
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:30:50 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:33:32 GMT, Lazarus Long

you might also build a simple sanding table.. made a world of difference in my garage.. err.. I mean shop..

I get most of the way there with scrapers. Then I use a Porter Cable random orbital sander (the model 334), with the cheesy dust canister removed and instead hooked up via hose and adapter to my shop dust collector. The dust collector knocks the dust down to the point where it is not noticeable.
For the times when I do need a respirator (e.g., some finishes), I use a half-face respirator that is of a style that's compatible with my glasses (I believe it's the MSA brand) .
NoOne N Particular wrote:

I get Wiley-X SG-1 <http://www.wileyx.com/sg1.php glasses issued at work (US Navy). I use them for all my eye-hazardous workshop stuff (in addition to their intended purpose) as they have pop-out ballistic lenses (available in prescription grinds) and head straps that don't interfere with my other protective gear.
My two cents, but I've had to use a lot of PPE over the years, and these glasses do the trick for me, and they don't break the bank (the glasses are issued to me, but I have to pay for the prescription lenses myself).
Chris Horner