Question for those who wear glasses . . .

At -8dpt they come expensive...

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

However, the same Italian dressing breath that you love inside the mask, and the same moisture which (briefly) fogs your glasses over a mask, is still a problem.

Reply to
George

I get Wiley-X SG-1 glasses issued at work (US Navy). I use them for all my eye-hazardous workshop stuff (in addition to their intended purpose) as they have pop-out ballistic lenses (available in prescription grinds) and head straps that don't interfere with my other protective gear.

My two cents, but I've had to use a lot of PPE over the years, and these glasses do the trick for me, and they don't break the bank (the glasses are issued to me, but I have to pay for the prescription lenses myself).

Chris Horner

Reply to
Christopher Horner

Thanks again to all who responded. It looks like I am just going to keep trying different face masks until I can find one that doesn't get under my glasses and lift them up. I have tried about 5 different kinds ranging from the little cheapies to one that has the two canisters on the sides that I bought years ago for another purpose.

I have attached my shop vac to my ROS and it helps a lot. But there are problems using the shop vac too. First, it is so loud that I think I may have some permanent hearing damage from it. :-) It is quite a bit louder than the sander. Second, for the small sanding jobs that might only take 10 minutes or so, it would probably take three times that long to get the shop vac moved over (it's almost always connected to my table saw), find the adapters to attach to the ROS, get it all connected, do the sanding, take it all apart, and put everything back. I should do that anyway, though, because the for last "little" sanding project I neglected to move the car out of the garage (my shop) while I sanded on my bench. There was so much dust that my green Chrysler New Yorker now looks more like a very large piece of poplar. :-) The car really needs a bath now so I hope it rains today.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

One solution to this is to get the el-cheapo shop vac dust collection setup from Lee Valley. It doesn't work terribly well, but it's cheap, and better than nothing. I have hoses running to the TS, DP and lathe, with a fourth hose as sort of a free floating all around suck things up hose. That lets me leave the shop vac parked behind the TS, right next to the trash can cyclone.

The whole rig doesn't come anywhere remotely close to capturing all my dust, but it helps. Of course one reason the whole setup is tolerable is because I have such a tiny shop that the switch on the vac is never more than three steps away from any corner.

Some day I'll get a real 660 V DC with quadruple squirrel cages and 12" ducts and dual 500 gal. cyclones. From what I hear from some of the hardcore DC guys on here, that's barely enough to get me started on a proper system for a 10x12 shop. :)

Reply to
Silvan
[...]

But beware that the system does not dump *you* into it's cyclones...

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

I'm sure that's true. My prescription is not nearly that strong, and the OP didn't specify his prescription, so I just threw out the possibility.

Someone with that strong a prescription might want to investigate contacts or laser surgery too.

Reply to
Hank Gillette

When that day comes, I'll just wear my anti-vacuum X-ray goggles that keep you from getting sucked into gigantic DCs and also reveal what ye olde lady types are wearing under their underwear. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Sat, Dec 11, 2004, 2:32pm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (firstjois) says: You can wear your own glasses and a mask under a face shield. Works like a charm.

Yep. I just came back to say I wear a face mask and muss too, and saw Josie's post.

Here's the order they go on me: Dust mask (replaceable filters type). Glasses. Face shield. Ear muffs.

No prob.

JOAT We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.

- unknown

Reply to
J T

I wear glasses and wear protective goggles over the top without any difficulty.

I can also wear dust masks of various types with the glasses and goggles

-- they don't interfere with the glasses -- BUT -- if I breathe, my glasses mist over and I can't see. And I can't hold my breath long enough to do anything meaningful!!

The idea of a full face shield sounds a good one, but how does that prevent breathing in dust and fumes?

Malcolm Webb

Reply to
Malcolm Webb

The Resp-O-Rator works well for me. It does not interfere with glasses and does not leak if you have a beard. The filters are also positioned behind your head so that the amount of dust the filter has to deal with is minimized.

Woodcraft carries them:

TWS

Reply to
TWS

Fumes, not at all. Dust, not the really fine stuff that's what you're supposed to really be watching out for. It does keep *some* dust out of your nose just by deflecting the rooster tail of chips that are flying off your TS or lathe straight at your face.

Reply to
Silvan

That was the thing DustBeeGone bragged about when they first came out. They didn't fogup your glasses. So far (several years) that's been true for mine.

BTW, I have no affiliation with, or interest in, DustBeeGone. I just know they have a relatively inexpensive product that works with glasses.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

you might consider building a sanding box, they help quite a bit... Leave the adapter or an extra vac hose on the box and the box somewhere handy.. you tend to use something more if it isn't a hassle to use it..

mac davis

if you get that system, carry lots of extra screws, driver bits, tape measures and other ballast to avoid being sucked into the cyclone..

Reply to
mac davis

Doesn't solve the original problem stated - face mask does not fit properly when he wears glasses.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

They must be gargantuan glasses then. I just tried my face shield while wearing regular eye protectors that are also capable of covering my glasses. The face shield doesn't come close to touching anything.

Reply to
Upscale

firstjois

Reply to
Upscale

Discovered the existence of DustBeeGone while surfing the net yesterday (before receiving this post) and found that the only place they are available here in the UK is at Turners Retreat, Harworth, Notts at a cost of £UK25. Never heard of Turners Retreat before and they happen to be within 20 miles of where I live. I passed their place on my way home from a breakfast meeting this morning without going out of my way, so called in and bought one. I've been wearing it ever since just to test it and can breathe normally without fogging up my glasses. FANTASTIC. I highly recommend fellow glasses-wearers to invest in one.

Malcolm Webb

Reply to
Malcolm Webb