Question for Rob Lee about fasteners.

Figure eight or desktop fasteners are impossible to find in Canada. http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 3-353 At least for me.
Any chance Lee Valley could start carrying them?
Your staff told me it takes 'forever' to get something added to your product line.

Ok - tell me who said that..... :)
It doesn't take forever - but finding sources isn't as straightforward as many people think. As I'm currently the ONLY guy here sourcing and writing hardware ( and I still have over 5000 pending items) - hardware tends to be a bit slower... I can only manage about 800-1000 new items a year (I have a few other responsibilities.....)....
Will push 'em up the list a bit.... sheesh.
Cheers -
Rob
(thanks for the suggestion)

useful fastener (nothing else really replaces it) and ordering from the US is a BIG PITA. Unless someone else knows of a Canadian source I will be forced to order from the US. Probably end up paying $5 a fastener.<g>
Jim

It seems like a good idea, bit it's not a really complicated fastener. Couldn't you make your own out of some thick sheet metal or other metal device? Hell, I could cut some of them out of a corner bracket. Thickness seems appropriate, width is about right and one of the existing holes is already countersunk. Figure less than ten minutes a fastener using a hacksaw, a drill and a file.

= $3.66 a fastener. Thanks for the idea but I suspect I'll try to order them from the US first.<g>
Jim

I guess it depends on how many tabletops you have to fasten. For me it's the enjoyment of doing and never was/will be a profit driven thing. It *is* a good idea though and I'll certainly remember it the next time I have a similar item to fasten.

I just picked up a bag of 10 for $4 USD from Woodcraft yesterday. Want me to make a run and drop some in the mail for you? [ What is postage to the Great White North? ]

Hey, Jim... I'm in Saskatoon
If you can wait till May I'm headed to Californee-aye-ay for a week May 2 - 8. You could have them shipped to me at the hotel and I can bring 'em back in my duty-free and then ship to you parcel post for a cupla bucks.
I did that with a Steve Knight plane a few years ago and saved a bunch on duty.
Just not 50 pounds of the suckers, 'kay?
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

So *that* explains the email addy on your last "out of the country" missive.
Mum's the word (although I did check the web site).
Of course, a store in Saskatoon would *guarantee* my silence...
;-)
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

brought forth from the murky depths:

Uh, oh! Someone's in the frying pan. But I know you could tell who it was if he gave you his phone number and time of call. You track that kind of stuff very well.

Need help? I have too much free time lately.
.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Jim snipped-for-privacy@nomail.thanks wrote:

This may not help you folks up north of the border, but Woodcraft sells 'em. Maybe Rob could find out who supplies 'em to Woodcraft???