Question for Rob Lee about fasteners.

Figure eight or desktop fasteners are impossible to find in Canada.

least for me.

Any chance Lee Valley could start carrying them?

Your staff told me it takes 'forever' to get something added to your product line.

Reply to
Jim_Robertson

Ok - tell me who said that..... :)

It doesn't take forever - but finding sources isn't as straightforward as many people think. As I'm currently the ONLY guy here sourcing and writing hardware ( and I still have over 5000 pending items) - hardware tends to be a bit slower... I can only manage about 800-1000 new items a year (I have a few other responsibilities.....)....

Will push 'em up the list a bit.... sheesh.

Cheers -

Rob

(thanks for the suggestion)

Reply to
Robin Lee

Thanks Rob, I'm just glad to hear they are on the list.

Purely selfish on my part, I simply can't find a Canadian source for this very useful fastener (nothing else really replaces it) and ordering from the US is a BIG PITA. Unless someone else knows of a Canadian source I will be forced to order from the US. Probably end up paying $5 a fastener.

Jim

Reply to
Jim_Robertson

It seems like a good idea, bit it's not a really complicated fastener. Couldn't you make your own out of some thick sheet metal or other metal device? Hell, I could cut some of them out of a corner bracket. Thickness seems appropriate, width is about right and one of the existing holes is already countersunk. Figure less than ten minutes a fastener using a hacksaw, a drill and a file.

Reply to
Upscale

Well I make about $18-25 an hour so lets say $22 divided by 6 fasteners per hour = $3.66 a fastener. Thanks for the idea but I suspect I'll try to order them from the US first.

Jim

Reply to
Jim_Robertson

I guess it depends on how many tabletops you have to fasten. For me it's the enjoyment of doing and never was/will be a profit driven thing. It *is* a good idea though and I'll certainly remember it the next time I have a similar item to fasten.

Reply to
Upscale

This may not help you folks up north of the border, but Woodcraft sells 'em. Maybe Rob could find out who supplies 'em to Woodcraft???

Reply to
Me

I just picked up a bag of 10 for $4 USD from Woodcraft yesterday. Want me to make a run and drop some in the mail for you? [ What is postage to the Great White North? ]

Reply to
mttt

So *that* explains the email addy on your last "out of the country" missive.

Mum's the word (although I did check the web site).

Of course, a store in Saskatoon would *guarantee* my silence...

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Hey, Jim... I'm in Saskatoon

If you can wait till May I'm headed to Californee-aye-ay for a week May

2 - 8. You could have them shipped to me at the hotel and I can bring 'em back in my duty-free and then ship to you parcel post for a cupla bucks.

I did that with a Steve Knight plane a few years ago and saved a bunch on duty.

Just not 50 pounds of the suckers, 'kay?

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:52:16 -0500, "Robin Lee" brought forth from the murky depths:

Uh, oh! Someone's in the frying pan. But I know you could tell who it was if he gave you his phone number and time of call. You track that kind of stuff very well.

Need help? I have too much free time lately.

.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques