Question for Makita 2030/2040 planer owners

Hello Fellow Makita Owners:
How high do you set your feed rollers relative to the blade? Somewhere I recall reading a post that said to adjust them so that they put a very minimal amount of pressure on the wood. The manual I have makes no mention of this adjustment at all.
Thanks,
Jim
Hi, unless you have one over 12 1/2 " width, I don't believe you have an option. Ger.

True
--
Jon Down
My eBay items currently listed:

That's why I am asking for advice from those who own 2030s and 2040s.
Thanks,
Jim

On the 12" Makita 2030 Planer jointer there is no adjustment , on the 15 5/8" Makita 2040 Planer there is a pressure adjustment screw, trial & error on some test pieces is all you need to try...no hard & fast rule other than the even minimum pressure on the roller in order to feed effectively. The type 1 has treaded pressure adjustment screw pins & the type 2 is not threaded, the type 2 is easier to adjust by hand.
--
Jon Down
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:03:47 -0800, "Jim Martin"

http://www.makita.com/res_tools/pdf/noncurrent_owners/2040.pdf
Go to Page 11.

Thanks! Really weird but my manual has the steps before and after but skips that part.
Cheers,
Jim
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:56:13 -0700, "Jim Martin"

For some weird reason, Makita stopped showing how to do it and the later manuals omitted it. Be prepared to curse & swear before you get the adjustment screws to move. WD40 and a propane torch might be required. DAMHIKT.
In FWW #52 (May-June 1985 - also available in the "Power Saws and Planers" Best of FWW book), there was an article by Dave Sloan on "Small Power Planers". Quoting from Sloan:

wrote

That's why I said the type 2 is easier to adjust by hand, they modified that feature, the earlier model was a bitch unless the adjustment screw had been used often & still turned with ease. The type 1 can be easily converted to the type 2 if it gives you trouble.
--
Jon Down
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:25:55 -0500, "PWɮTLMAN

I did get the type 2 assemblies quite a number of years ago, but never installed them. Will probably have to fairly soon as the rollers are starting to look pretty fugly and might need resurfacing or replacing. Any suggestions where I can get them resurfaced? I am also going to ask the local newspapers and printers where they get theirs done.

As far as resurfacing....no clue....we always install new OEM rollers on the 2040 when required at about $390 Canadian $300US (installed & warrantied for 90 days) One of the few tools we even prefer to service on the job so we can run a few boards through. Well worth the money if the rest of the planer is in good shape especially if it has the type 2 adjusters too. Most rollers crack & separate from having been set too tight.
Jon~
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 22:35:29 -0500, "PWɮTLMAN

Wanna come to Whitehorse & do mine? ;-)
Actually, if you DAGS on "2040" in rec.woodworking, you'll see quite a few discussions on resurfacing rollers.
What do you mean by crack & separate? Mine are just worn, with ridges, and I suspect the rubber has hardened.

Actually I love all expenses paid service calls.

Some of them dry out & crack & parts even start to separate from the steel, the worst is if the rubber starts to bunch up on the surface & becomes slightly sticky....normally from a solvent being used to clean then I suspect.
--
Jon Down