Question for Makita 2030/2040 planer owners

Hi, unless you have one over 12 1/2 " width, I don't believe you have an option. Ger.

Reply to
Gerry

Hello Fellow Makita Owners:

How high do you set your feed rollers relative to the blade? Somewhere I recall reading a post that said to adjust them so that they put a very minimal amount of pressure on the wood. The manual I have makes no mention of this adjustment at all.

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Martin
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

On the 12" Makita 2030 Planer jointer there is no adjustment , on the 15

5/8" Makita 2040 Planer there is a pressure adjustment screw, trial & error on some test pieces is all you need to try...no hard & fast rule other than the even minimum pressure on the roller in order to feed effectively. The type 1 has treaded pressure adjustment screw pins & the type 2 is not threaded, the type 2 is easier to adjust by hand.
Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

True

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

That's why I am asking for advice from those who own 2030s and 2040s.

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Martin

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:03:47 -0800, "Jim Martin" scribbled:

to Page 11.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote

that part.

Cheers,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Martin

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:56:13 -0700, "Jim Martin" scribbled:

For some weird reason, Makita stopped showing how to do it and the later manuals omitted it. Be prepared to curse & swear before you get the adjustment screws to move. WD40 and a propane torch might be required. DAMHIKT.

In FWW #52 (May-June 1985 - also available in the "Power Saws and Planers" Best of FWW book), there was an article by Dave Sloan on "Small Power Planers". Quoting from Sloan:

Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

That's why I said the type 2 is easier to adjust by hand, they modified that feature, the earlier model was a bitch unless the adjustment screw had been used often & still turned with ease. The type 1 can be easily converted to the type 2 if it gives you trouble.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:25:55 -0500, "P©W?T©©LMAN ²ºº4" scribbled:

I did get the type 2 assemblies quite a number of years ago, but never installed them. Will probably have to fairly soon as the rollers are starting to look pretty fugly and might need resurfacing or replacing. Any suggestions where I can get them resurfaced? I am also going to ask the local newspapers and printers where they get theirs done.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

As far as resurfacing....no clue....we always install new OEM rollers on the

2040 when required at about $390 Canadian $300US (installed & warrantied for 90 days) One of the few tools we even prefer to service on the job so we can run a few boards through. Well worth the money if the rest of the planer is in good shape especially if it has the type 2 adjusters too. Most rollers crack & separate from having been set too tight.

Jon~

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 22:35:29 -0500, "P©W?T©©LMAN ²ºº4" scribbled:

Wanna come to Whitehorse & do mine? ;-)

Actually, if you DAGS on "2040" in rec.woodworking, you'll see quite a few discussions on resurfacing rollers.

What do you mean by crack & separate? Mine are just worn, with ridges, and I suspect the rubber has hardened.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Actually I love all expenses paid service calls.

Some of them dry out & crack & parts even start to separate from the steel, the worst is if the rubber starts to bunch up on the surface & becomes slightly sticky....normally from a solvent being used to clean then I suspect.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN