Question for HF 7" Jointer Owners Only

HF 7" Jointer owners: How do you like your jointer?

Would you buy one again?

How hard is it to adjust the knives?

Is there a DC port?

How was it shipped? Can two people wrestle it off of the truck without a lift gate?

They have it on sale for $219, which makes it interesting to me.

Please no comments about HF and HF jointers from others. I'm well aware of the spotty reputation of HF tools.

Reply to
Vince Heuring

YES ... but I don't think I'll ever need to unless I someday hire a helper.

I don't have anything to compare it to. Didn't seem unreasonably tough to me. Then, too, in a former life I was a die-maker. That might have a bearing on things. I just use a large rectangular magnet to hold the blade the same height as the outfeed table and tighten the blade down. It's automatically parallel with the table because it shared a plane with the magnet, which shared that same plane with the table. Checking with an indicator showed

Reply to
W Canaday

Reply to
Randal

The motor never worked. HF was not able to support it . This was partially my fault as I did not try to use it until a couple months after purchase and the packaging had already been discarded. Lesson learned.

Eventually I put an old sears table saw motor on it and made a home made base. The bed was a little shorter than most 6's and I as unable to find 7" knives except from HF and those were worth less than the 5-cent deposit on the aluminum can from which they were pressed.

With a new motor and 6" freud knives it actually performed pretty well for me for about 7 years. I recently upgraded to an eight.

No.

Maddening. meditate first, then be prepared to spend about an hour. They provide a basic jig, but the knives rest in little springs, you have to hold the knives down with the jig (against the spring) while you snug up the bolts with your other hand. That's not too tough... it's crossing your toes and praying that the snugging the bolt doesn't shuft the knife position that makes it tricky.

I just changed the blades on my YorkCraft YC-8J two days ago (it's very fresh in my memory). It's still very fussy, but jack screws are a much better system, because you can snug the bolts eough to provide just a bit of friction and the use the jack screws to push the knife up to the proper height.

It took me about 20 minutes to reinstall 3 knives.

I don't recall, as I made my own base.

Common carrier, Yes around 160 lbs.

Oddly, one thing that was uniqiely good about that machine was the unusual fence locking took place at the end of the infeed table. Consequently, the machine has a rather shallow footprint. Most other machines have a rack and pinion to set fence position that extends almost a foot behind base of the machine. That makes it eneficient to position the machine against a wall..

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
C&S

I confess to reading too fast / too late. I have the 6" model. My bad. My earlier comments apply to the 6" model only. I have no experience with the

7" model.

Sorry for the mixup.

Bill

Reply to