QUESTION - Drill loudness

OK, I'm getting ready to embark on a project that's gonna call for a variable speed drill being used as a stirrer, for fairly extended periods, maybe up to 30 minutes or so, multiple times. It'll be fixed in place, I'm not gonna hold it. It's a "must" that noise be kept to an absolute minimum, so apartment neighbors won't complain - it's not my place, I don't have neighbors that close. I should be able to muffle at least part of the noise with a plywood box, lined with foam or similar, or at least redirect some of it. But, I'm gonna need as quiet a drill as I can find. All my drills are old and noisy, so I'm gonna need a new one.

So, does anyone out there know of any particular make or model of a variable speed corded drill that is fairly quiet? Or, at least relatively quiet? Doesn't need to be large, small will probably be best anyway. This is all the drill will be used for, so only suggest something not so expensive.

Do they have one beater mixers? If they do, and they're quiet, that would probably be great. I'll have to check into that, all I'e seen have two. I'll consider any other suggestions like that too. Need variable speed, but doesn't need to exceed 100-200 RPM tops, so something else may work also. Hmm, I do belive I've got some light dimmers out in the shop, might they work as variable speed controllers?

Don't bother suggesting a battery drill.

JOAT Don't complain: When a dog barks, he loses his bone.

- Bazooka Joe

Porky Pig says:

J T

Well, now we know who doesn't do any cooking at your house.

The beaters are removable (Take one out - leave one in :-)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Wed, Aug 25, 2004, 3:33am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (Morris=A0Dovey) says: Well, now we know who doesn't do any cooking at your house. The beaters are removable (Take one out - leave one in :-)

I just don't do any of that sissy cookin' stuff, that takes a mixer.

Yah, I'd thought of that, but how long would it hold up, with just one going?

JOAT Don't complain: When a dog barks, he loses his bone.

- Bazooka Joe

Porky Pig says:

J T

Will 100-200 RPM really be too loud? I ran my corded Milwaukee hammer drill (hammer function off) at that speed and it was quieter than the TV at standard listening level. Agreed, the noise was distinctive compared to the TV, but certainly not louder.

Reply to
Upscale

If it's a good mixer and you're mixing liquid, perhaps a year or two nonstop. If you're mixing mud, I dunno. The mixer here has been whipping mashed potatos for more than twenty years...

With only one beater it'd only be working half as hard.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

ok I gotta ask...what is the project?

Clif

Reply to
Clif

FWIW, KitchenAid has one beater and the more powerful models will knead black bread dough, which is far tougher than any kind of paint. Trouble is you can get a damned good drill for the price of one.

Just did some rough noise level checks--Craftsman drill press at 500 RPM is

70dBA, Dewalt 18v half-inch drill is 80, Kitchenaid mixer is 70-80 depending on speed, Milwaukee 3/8" corded drill is 90, but it's an old one and the newer ones might be quieter, all measured about 3 feet away with the meter (Lutron SL-4001) pointed at the tool. Looks like your best bet for noise might be a portable drill press, as long as it gets its variable speed from belt-drive instead of a variable-speed direct-drive. Drill press noise has a different "character" from the others besides--more of a rumble where the others have more of a high-pitch whine.
Reply to
J. Clarke

Don't forget to consider the heat that it's going to generate. If you put noise reducing padding around it you'll have to leave vent holes of some sort or maybe even install an additional cooling fan. Especially if the drill is running at a lower RPM I'm thinking it's going to get a bit warm being run for an extended period.

Reply to
Dwight

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 03:41:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Sync motor bench drill press? Brushless (quiet) motor. Variable (if clumsy) speed. Fairly cheap from XMart. Robust. High/variable torque. Good duty cycle. I have easily used mine for hours on end under load.

***************************************************** Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so that neither of them can do what they want to because of the other one.
Reply to
Old Nick

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 03:41:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Sorry. My dog barks when he _gets_ a "bone".

However.

There was a bird that left it too late to fly south for the winter. It got caught and fell to earth, exhausted by the cold. A cow came along and shat on the bird. The bird was revived by the nice warm cowshit. It stuck its head up and sang, as birds have to when they can. A cat came along, and, ignoring the shit, at the bird.

Moral(s) Those who shit on you are not necessraily your enemies. If you are in the shit and happy, then shut up. Those that get you out of the shit are not necesarily your friends.

This is a "joke" that is VERY clever, because it presents a silly situation, but provides a VERY real statement.....

***************************************************** Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so that neither of them can do what they want to because of the other one.
Reply to
Old Nick

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:23839-412C42B1-1@storefull-

3153.bay.webtv.net:

Sounds like a job for a Kitchenaid stand mixer. Preferably second hand. They are used for everything from whipping cream and egg whites to mixing bread and pizza dough. Tough as nails, particularly the older ones.

Or find something from the Hobart commercial line, from somewhere that sells used restaraunt grade stuff.

These both would have sturdy stands, tilting heads, removeable and selectable whips, and all sorts of great replacement parts. The biggest difference would be how large a vessel could easily be managed for the mixed liquids.

Neither would be as loud as any of my electric drill motors, or a drill press. The mixer would be quieter with some sort of vibration isolation from the counter top.

Do we want to know what you're blending up in some apartment where you don't want to attract attention? ;-)

Patriarch, who much prefers these kinds of threads to some of the other noise here lately....

Reply to
patriarch

Might help if you tell us what you're mixing.

I did some self-leveling mortar with a Milwaukee "holeshooter" drill . .can't sey it was the best choice. Something like a Hole Hawg (horizontal drill, MUCH slower RPM) would have been better.

At the low speeds, noise wasn't so much an issue as the dust in the bearings was.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

If I tell ya what it's for, I'll probably have to kill ya, and I can't afford the travel fare. Otherwise, I'd be happy to tell ya.

OK, who still wants to know? LMAO

It's not for me, and it's legal. Just that there's worry that the same noise for maybe 15-20-30 minutes will get irritating on the neighbors - thin walls, so want/need to muffle the sound as much as feasible. And, yes there would be air vents. And, no, not mixing up anything.

Stirrer was likely a inappropriate word, but that's the first word that popped into my head. Trying to prototype a drive motor for an animated (power driven?) whatchmacallit, for someone else. On a low budget. Using plans from someone else (Rube Goldberg maybe). This is to be upside down, inside the "muffler" (base), and turn a model (no, not a live model). The theory is, it will be fun.

I pulled out my old mixer and ran it. At the slower speeds seemed to hesitate a bit, don't know if that was from no use, age, or just the way it is. Seemed to be doable with it, but it seems to be as noisy as a drill. And, no, I'm not going to buy a drill press, even tho my drill press motor would certainly qualify as quiet enough. Be a major PITA to change speeds by changing belts tho.

I think my plan now is to forget the drill, and to stop at a second-hand store and see what they've got in the way of mixers. I've seen them as low as about $1 there. I figure after the sound is muffled, it will be acceptable.

I did get another project idea from this. I've been trying to figure out a not too complicated power marble lift (got manual, don't need more). Today, I remembered Junkyard Wars and golf ball machineguns. Neat. The two wheels could work. Rubber wheel on each beater shaft. Feed marbles in, it should shoot marbles out. Tube to route marbles, leading up, and power marble lift. Be neat to fine tune it enough to shoot marbles 2-3 feet in the air at the top, then have them come down in a catch funnel or something, to feed them into the marble machine, for a repeat. That would make it a marble fountain. LMAO

JOAT The whole of life is a learning process.

- John Keel

Porky Pig says:

J T

Maybe I didnt see it, but yeah I wanna know

Clif

Reply to
Clif

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:20329-412D3151-30@storefull-

3152.bay.webtv.net:

The workings of a creative mind are fascinating to observe...

Thank you for sharing.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

A drill with a universal motor probably isn't the best choice for this. You probably want to jig up some kind of reduction from an induction motor.

Time to dig out your McMaster-Carr catalog.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles