Question about wood preparation

Hey All, I'm going to be resawing some 12/4 cherry this weekend for a table top. The boards are 13 inches wide and my plan is to rip them to 6

1/2 inch and then resaw each to get bookmatched faces. The top will be 78 inches long when finished. The wood has been stored in my unheated garage (living in Maryland, most of the time it's a cold winter) and will be cut out there. My basement shop is heated and that's where I will do the rest of the machining. My qusetion is, would it be better to leave the boards laying flat with their resawn faces exposed or should I stack and sticher them to when allowing them to acclimate to my shop's heat and humidity conditions? My inclination is to let them acclimate without any weight on top but I've made incorrect choices before. Thanks in advance for your suggestions, Marc
Reply to
marc rosen

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Marc

12/4 x 13... wow. I thought I had some nice cherry. Heck even my massive white oak find is only 8/4 x 12's x 8' mostly.

I would let them acclimate to the new shop for week at least before resawing but sounds like that isn't an option. Then if you have the patience to sticker them and wait another week or two that would be the very best. Just like a panel glue up it is never good to have one face exposed and one not. I always stack new panels along the wall angled so air can get to both sides.

You might consider skip planing the back side so both faces have a fresh face and equal breathing capability as the wood gets over the shock of being halved.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

If the wood is thoroughly dried I don't think it would hurt at all to sticker them. If they were going to be thin pieces I would certainly do this. If the degree of dryness is questionable I certainly would do so also.

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------- No good reason other than it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

I'd resaw in the garage, then stack and sticker in the basement.

Don't look at it till 03/01/2012.

BTW, make sure you don't bring in any bugs or other critters with the wood you stack in the basement.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Marc

Sounds like a plan.

12/4 Cherry? I still can't get over that.
Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

How about letting it acclimate in the basement, then run it outside just long enough to resaw and then return it to the basement right after (board at a time, even)?

Reply to
krw