Question about what to use as pre-stain conditioner

I went and bought some of the Minwax stuff. It works well enough but it's somewhat pricey and my local store doesn't carry it. Can anyone suggest any alternatives? Thanks.
Hi mp, I have found that a dilute coat of dewaxed shellac (Seal Coat) works somewhat better and also has other uses. Cheers, JG
mp wrote:

I have tried a water based stain that does not require a conditioner. It works well for me and doesn't have that chemical smell like Minwax.
Here is the link for the product.
http://www.sylteck.com/content_anglais/saman.asp
Daniel

Thanks for the link. Their website lists a couple of dealers in my area.