Question about what finish to apply to mahogany

I have laminated two pieces of mahogany (not sure what kind it is) with a piece of wenge in the middle. This has been subsequently turned into a 1 1/4" diamenter rod about 30" long. This rod will be used to hang a Japanese obi which was used for a wedding ceremony. The obi is made out of silk. Think about this as a tapestry hanger with a silk tapestry hanging over it.
OK - that was the long slow windup.......here is my question. My wood finishing book by Bob Flexner suggests finishing with a rubbing varnish. I am worried about the finish somehow getting into silk over time so I wonder if polyurethane might be a better choice. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
TIA.
Dick Snyder
Shellac should work fine. Tom

Perfect solution,
A finish made by bugs to display a fabric made by bugs.
Seriously, shellac with a topcoat of wax is my suggestion here. Paul.
Heehee, bugs! Didn't think of that! Tom
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 03:04:08 GMT, Scarfinger

Shouldn't that be "made from bug spit"? Or should we replace the "p" with an "h"?
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking

It is *sucreated* not *excreated*
C & S (in snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com) said:
|| Shouldn't that be "made from bug spit"? Or should we replace the || "p" with an "h"? || | I prefer "snot" myself. | | It is *sucreated* not *excreated*
I'm really glad you made that distinction. :-D
You can just try waxing it - it should finish nicely and should be fine w/ silk hanging on it.
Its ashame to cover that beautiful wood w/ plastic.