Question about those wireless remotes

OK, I went ahead and bought that Jet 650C dust collector today . . .

I stopped by Radio Shack on the way home, intending to get a wireless remote power outlet thingy. They have their X-10 style units, and a couple others. They all say 15A, 1/3 hp. The Jet DC is rated at 1hp. Has anyone used these "1/3hp" remotes with good results ?

Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
Scott

I wouldn't exceed their ratings.

You can, however, get heavy duty wireless outlets elsewhere, along with a much larger selection of wireless accessories, even 220V. Probably cheaper than radioshack, and cheaper than the dust collection controller I see advertised in some woodworking catalogues, which is essentially an x10 product.

Reply to
MJT

snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Scott) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

For high current applications use a relay. Contact a near electronics supply house and get a relay with the current rating you need for the motor size. Then plug the coil of the relay into the X-10. It works. It also prevents the high starting current of the motor from buring up the X-10 device. It is also handy if you change to a 220 motor. The x10 would still be 110.

Reply to
Joe Willmann

I've been using one on my Delta 650cfm 1hp DC for about 2 years now and am still on the original appliance module. I probably average 50-100 cycles per week.

I shouldn't go to Radio Schlock, they're way too expensive and I only use them if I need something now and can't wait. Instead go to x10.com and sign up for their email newsletter and you'll get an instant $15 gift certificate. If you can wait on buying, watch the newsletters. Sooner or later what you want will be on sale. And you can still use the certificate.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

I have 2 of the Shop Fox remotes to control my DC and shop vac. Each unit comes with 2 remotes. They work with 1.5 HP motors. cost about $40 locally.

dave

Scott wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I wouldn't get it then. 15A tells me it should handle about 1600 watts, and 1/3 Hp would be about 250 watts, the numbers are off. I recommend the Shop Fox brand remote dust collector switch from Grizzly (Model H2797). The unit is rated for dust collectors up to 1 1/2 Hp. It works great with my 1 1/2 Hp Oneida. It comes with 2 controls. About $48 with S&H. I have no affiliation with Grizzly, other than helping to pay the light bill at the Bellingham store.

Larr

Reply to
Larry West

Thanks for the info, gang. I too was/am confused by the HP rating when it shows 15A as being allowed. Since P = I * E, it would seem that it should handle more than 1/3HP. But it DOES specify the 1/3HP is for a "motor" so I wonder if the peak start-up draw is the problem? In any event, I guess a guy could try it ($24) and see if the thing smokes, with the assumption that it wouldn't damage the dust collector motor(?) Or maybe not!

Scott

Reply to
Scott

By the way, I just looked at Amazon, and they sell the Shop Fox through Grizzly. There is one buyer review that suggests a problem(?):

BUYER BEWARE & BE INFORMED! February 7, 2004 I purchased one of these assuming from the product description that it would fit my JET dust collecter... It doesn't... this remote switch comes wired with NEMA 6-20 plug/receptacle, while the JET comes with a NEMA 6-15 plug. There is no interchanging these two without re-wiring or going to an expensive international, universal adapter... JUST KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE AND WHAT YOU WILL GET, as the data states nothing beyond it being 220A...

Reply to
Scott

I use a wireless remote. The kind that Sears sells. I also use a relay box I built. The power tool is plugged into the remote switch and that is all it has to handle. It keys on a relay in the relay box which is

10 amp rated. This turns on the DC.

There is a 6 outlet power strip plugged into the remote switch so I have a choice of tools to turn on. Also I have a blast gate at each tool. All I do to turn on my DC is open a blast gate and turn on the power.

-- Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

  • * * Build a DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03

  • * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
  • * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
  • * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
  • * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
  • * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
  • * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
  • * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
Reply to
Joe "Woody" Woodpecker

Just stopped at Sears where I found their little auto-switching outlet, and a 6-outlet powerstrip. I'll plug all the dustmakers into the strip, and in theory, the DC will kick on when any of the tools turns on. $19.95. I'll report back.

Cheers,

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Grizzly sells two versions of the Shop Fox remote, one's for 110 VAC, the other for 220. The model I listed earlier is for the 11O version. Sounds like this other guy inadvertently ordered the 220.

Larr

Reply to
Larry West

OK, I'm reporting back: works great! However, I can see that having a wireless remote would be a good way to do this too: I could leave the DC on while resetting the TS blade height, for example (instead of the DC going on-off-on-off all day long when switching between tools, or when making quick adjustments).

Scott

Reply to
Scott