Question about those wireless remotes

OK, I went ahead and bought that Jet 650C dust collector today . . .
I stopped by Radio Shack on the way home, intending to get a wireless remote power outlet thingy. They have their X-10 style units, and a couple others. They all say 15A, 1/3 hp. The Jet DC is rated at 1hp. Has anyone used these "1/3hp" remotes with good results ?
Thanks,
Scott
I wouldn't exceed their ratings.
You can, however, get heavy duty wireless outlets elsewhere, along with a much larger selection of wireless accessories, even 220V. Probably cheaper than radioshack, and cheaper than the dust collection controller I see advertised in some woodworking catalogues, which is essentially an x10 product.
Try Smarthome at www.smarthome.com or the X10 website at http://www.x10.com/automation/homeautomation.htm
Michel. www.woodstoneproductions.com www.fminsight.com

snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Scott) wrote in

For high current applications use a relay. Contact a near electronics supply house and get a relay with the current rating you need for the motor size. Then plug the coil of the relay into the X-10. It works. It also prevents the high starting current of the motor from buring up the X-10 device. It is also handy if you change to a 220 motor. The x10 would still be 110.
I've been using one on my Delta 650cfm 1hp DC for about 2 years now and am still on the original appliance module. I probably average 50-100 cycles per week.
I shouldn't go to Radio Schlock, they're way too expensive and I only use them if I need something now and can't wait. Instead go to x10.com and sign up for their email newsletter and you'll get an instant $15 gift certificate. If you can wait on buying, watch the newsletters. Sooner or later what you want will be on sale. And you can still use the certificate.
Art

I have 2 of the Shop Fox remotes to control my DC and shop vac. Each unit comes with 2 remotes. They work with 1.5 HP motors. cost about $40 locally.
dave
Scott wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Scott) wrote in message

I wouldn't get it then. 15A tells me it should handle about 1600 watts, and 1/3 Hp would be about 250 watts, the numbers are off. I recommend the Shop Fox brand remote dust collector switch from Grizzly (Model H2797). The unit is rated for dust collectors up to 1 1/2 Hp. It works great with my 1 1/2 Hp Oneida. It comes with 2 controls. About $48 with S&H. I have no affiliation with Grizzly, other than helping to pay the light bill at the Bellingham store.
Larr
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Larry West) wrote in message >

Thanks for the info, gang. I too was/am confused by the HP rating when it shows 15A as being allowed. Since P = I * E, it would seem that it should handle more than 1/3HP. But it DOES specify the 1/3HP is for a "motor" so I wonder if the peak start-up draw is the problem? In any event, I guess a guy could try it ($24) and see if the thing smokes, with the assumption that it wouldn't damage the dust collector motor(?) Or maybe not!
Scott
By the way, I just looked at Amazon, and they sell the Shop Fox through Grizzly. There is one buyer review that suggests a problem(?):
BUYER BEWARE & BE INFORMED! February 7, 2004 I purchased one of these assuming from the product description that it would fit my JET dust collecter... It doesn't... this remote switch comes wired with NEMA 6-20 plug/receptacle, while the JET comes with a NEMA 6-15 plug. There is no interchanging these two without re-wiring or going to an expensive international, universal adapter... JUST KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE AND WHAT YOU WILL GET, as the data states nothing beyond it being 220A...
snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Scott) wrote in message

Grizzly sells two versions of the Shop Fox remote, one's for 110 VAC, the other for 220. The model I listed earlier is for the 11O version. Sounds like this other guy inadvertently ordered the 220.
Larr
I use a wireless remote. The kind that Sears sells. I also use a relay box I built. The power tool is plugged into the remote switch and that is all it has to handle. It keys on a relay in the relay box which is 10 amp rated. This turns on the DC.
There is a 6 outlet power strip plugged into the remote switch so I have a choice of tools to turn on. Also I have a blast gate at each tool. All I do to turn on my DC is open a blast gate and turn on the power.
-- Woody
Check out my Web Page at:
http://community-1.webtv.net/WoodworkerJoe/WoodworkerJoesInfo
Where you will find:
******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03
* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03 * * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03 * * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03 * * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03 * * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03 * * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
Just stopped at Sears where I found their little auto-switching outlet, and a 6-outlet powerstrip. I'll plug all the dustmakers into the strip, and in theory, the DC will kick on when any of the tools turns on. $19.95. I'll report back.
Cheers,
Scott
snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Scott) wrote in message

OK, I'm reporting back: works great! However, I can see that having a wireless remote would be a good way to do this too: I could leave the DC on while resetting the TS blade height, for example (instead of the DC going on-off-on-off all day long when switching between tools, or when making quick adjustments).
Scott