Question about Teflon tape for air compressors

Page 3 of 3

DonkeyHody wrote:

I read somewhere that polytetrafluoroethylene, especially in conjuction with aluminium, causes Alzheimer's dementia. So that's another thing to be wary of.
The issue with Teflon tape is getting into the air tools. However this being said We use teflon tape on everything up to and including the 350HP units we service (I am an Atlas copco service technician). One of the things I have found is that the teflon tape most people get in borgs is way to thin. You can get thicker tape in ACR/HVAC supply houses. the thicker tape applies better and does not tear out. By the way when you change the oil on your compressor remove the drain line, install a longer pipe with a cap so as to be able to drain the unit into a bucket without making a major mess. Seal the pipe cap with Teflon tape and also the full plug. Most compressors use 30 weight NON DETERGENT oil. some use 40 weight. It must be non detergent. You will eat the rings out if you use the wrong stuff. any other specifics you have questions on let me know.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net