Question about shellac solvent

Page 7 of 7
In article

Don't forget blue Sunoco.
--
Hank Gillette

Hank Gillette wrote:

Didn't forget. Just never saw Sunoco gas. Saw lots of Conoco, Shell, 76, etc. Never saw any color that wasn't some shade of red. Guess it depends on what part of the country you live in.
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:30:25 -0500, Hank Gillette

called "Purple Charlie". He roamed the country checking every town and village for purple gas. He'd start at one end of the street with a large syringe with a rubber tube and check every gas tank. Farmers were allowed to use "purple" in farm work vehicles but not their cars. The fine was quite heavy. Farm gas was ordinary gas with purple dye added and was less costly, hence the fine.

Diesel fuel for boats was (perhaps still is) dyed blue because of differing tax rates.
GregP responds:

When I was a kid, anyone who caught another person unscrewing a gas cap with a syringe or hose in his hand was subject to one helluva tongue lashing at best. In some cases, a but kicking ensued, and in others, it was a simple matter of calling the cops.
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell
Charlie Self wrote:

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that someone with a tube would be unscrewing gas caps. Guess the Cannucks are different. Just touching another person's car was considered bad manners, but unscrewing a gas cap? In 1969, I had a 1964 Chrysler 300 and never remember a person touching it without asking permission. No body in the U.S. would be checking gas in private cars without a search warrant where I live.
I remember when I was in the military several of us were walking down the street in New Haven CN in 1959 and stopped to look at some rich kids Ferrari. Heck most of us had never seen a Ferrari. Two seconds after we stopped to look (no touching), we heard a yell, "Get away from the car. And, we did, right quick.

I remember purple gas on Grampa's farm north of Winnipeg when I was a kid. We ran it in the snowmobiles, but not in the car.

The LV stuff is denatured ethyl. I buy it when I can combine the shipping costs with other stuff, but by itself it's too expensive.
As I posted earlier:
Rubbing Alcohol Compound, United Pharmacists brand, packaged by RW Packaging (in Manitoba... No address but postal code is R2R 1V7). 95% ethyl.
No problem with using methanol. Depending on your needs you might find it a better solvent than ethanol due to it's lower boiling point (evaporates faster). I'm not 100 % sure, but the solubility of the shellac flakes in methanol might be better than in ethanol.

In my small basement shop I prefer the smell of ethanol over methanol...

Not to mention, if the shop's small enough, you can learn the true meaning of "blind drunk."
It's a little amusing the responses contained in this thread regarding the toxicity of methanol.
I am willing to bet that if the op was about using mineral spirits or lacquer thinner, toxicity would nerver be mentioned.
Just dont drink your solvents or bath in them and you will be ok. :)

Relative toxicity, and there are a lot of other things he's _not_ using, I'm sure, which of course is not worthy of comment.
http://www.bazellracefuels.com/Methanol.htm Check that bit about the odor threshold, and the ability to get a lethal dose from mucosa and through the skin.
This is some truly bad sh*t, which does the same job as its less toxic cousin(s), one of which is even available in "food grade."

George wrote:

Thanks for all the comments. Comments in general seemed to think it would work fine so I used it with shellac flakes on a small cabinet I built for my grandson, it works fine. I don't spray and as with any of the solvents we use you take precautions.
Having worked in nuclear plants for 27 years and continually taking safety courses, when I started woodworking after retiring my first purchases included an air cleaner that hangs from the ceiling and gets turned on whenever I am working in the shop, a dust collector and a dust respirator. Once I started doing finishing I got a chemical respirator and the cartridges get changed regularly.
Since my 25' x 25' shop is in the basement I'll spend the extra and use the denatured alcohol LV sells in the winter when I can't really vent the shop outside like I do in the warmer weather.
Rick
No problem but there are two issues you may want to consider.
1. Methyl hydrate (methanol or methyl alcohol) is significantly more toxic than ethanol (ethyl hydrate?) or denatured alcohol. Be careful with the fumes.
2. It has been reported that a shellac film made from a methanol solution is slightly more brittle than that made from an ethanol solution. If this is not a concern for your project, don't worry about it.
Good Luck.