Question about scroll saw blades breaking

I posted this on a scrolling/intarsia forum, but I'm hoping that I can get some experienced responses here.
I've been scrolling now for all of ten days, so it goes without saying that I don't have much experience. In time, that will change.
However, I do have a question about blades breaking. So far (knock on scrolled wood!), I haven't had a blade break. Now, this will change one day and I will experience what every scroller does ... dealing with a broken blade.
My question ... WHAT happens when the blade breaks? Does the scroll saw stop? Does the bobbing up and down fling the blade about? Should I have lots of bandaids next to my scroll saw?
I'd like to know what happens so that - when it does happen - I'll be prepared, as least mentally.
Thanks!
Jack
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

I have only a few experiences, long ago, of scroll saw blade breakage. Nothing much happened to me. Usually the saw blade stayed in the cut that was being made.
You keep your fingers away from the blade. The saw stroke on a scroll saw is fairly short. Under certain circumstances, your wood may be affected a little. But even that would be rare.
It is an immediate, intuitive response to shut off the saw when a breakage occurs.
You are setting there happily sawing wood and all of a sudden the world comes to an end! your blade has broken the saw starts making an awful racket like it is coming apart, your heart stops for a moment. Then you figure out that it is a broken blade, you turn off the saw and change the blade and go back to work in bliss until it happens again.

get
Sweet Sawdust wrote:

Jeez, sounds like the "buzzer" selection on a clock radio alarm.
er
--
email not valid

I better get myself a foot pedal so that I can stop the saw faster. I would be just my luck to really be getting into it, concentrating ... concentrating .. concentr ----ARGH!
Oh man, I do NOT look forward to my first blade break. Gee, I wonder if they have a coffee flavor for that moment?
Jack
Sweet Sawdust wrote:

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

Buy a band saw, Jack. Use it until you've broken a few blades. Then you can go back to your scroll saw, without fear.
John Martin
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

G'day Jack, No matter how many I break I always jump when the bastards let go. And they break when you least expect it. You can have a blade last for hours and the next one can go within the 1st minute. Just have fun, when one breaks, replace it and carry on having fun. regards John