Question about scroll saw blades breaking

I posted this on a scrolling/intarsia forum, but I'm hoping that I can get some experienced responses here.

I've been scrolling now for all of ten days, so it goes without saying that I don't have much experience. In time, that will change.

However, I do have a question about blades breaking. So far (knock on scrolled wood!), I haven't had a blade break. Now, this will change one day and I will experience what every scroller does ... dealing with a broken blade.

My question ... WHAT happens when the blade breaks? Does the scroll saw stop? Does the bobbing up and down fling the blade about? Should I have lots of bandaids next to my scroll saw?

I'd like to know what happens so that - when it does happen - I'll be prepared, as least mentally.

Thanks!

Jack

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:6audnVut2_zEhrLZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

I have only a few experiences, long ago, of scroll saw blade breakage. Nothing much happened to me. Usually the saw blade stayed in the cut that was being made.

You keep your fingers away from the blade. The saw stroke on a scroll saw is fairly short. Under certain circumstances, your wood may be affected a little. But even that would be rare.

It is an immediate, intuitive response to shut off the saw when a breakage occurs.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

wrote

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Jeez, sounds like the "buzzer" selection on a clock radio alarm.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I better get myself a foot pedal so that I can stop the saw faster. I would be just my luck to really be getting into it, concentrating ... concentrating .. concentr ----ARGH!

Oh man, I do NOT look forward to my first blade break. Gee, I wonder if they have a coffee flavor for that moment?

Jack

Sweet Sawdust wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

G'day Jack, No matter how many I break I always jump when the bastards let go. And they break when you least expect it. You can have a blade last for hours and the next one can go within the 1st minute. Just have fun, when one breaks, replace it and carry on having fun. regards John

Reply to
John B

Buy a band saw, Jack. Use it until you've broken a few blades. Then you can go back to your scroll saw, without fear.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin