Question about remote for dust collector

Right now I'm in the stage of researching the components for a dust collection system for my small shop. I think I've decided on the Penn State DC-2 1 1/2 HP collector with 1 micron bags which is on sale right now for $249 plus $44 shipping. I'm going to add a garbage can cyclone unit. The DC will be used with only one tool running at a time. I've got separate 20 Amp circuits for my tools-table saw, thickness planer, miter saw, jointer, etc. and a dedicated 15 amp circuit for my DC. I was hoping to have a 20 amp dedicated for the DC but because of some existing 14 AWG wire that would be very difficult to upgrade I'm stuck with 15. I have two questions for you electrically adept people. Question 1- The Penn State catalog lists the "capacity" of the DC-2 at 17 amps but then says that running amperage will be significantly less. Am I going to have problems with breakers tripping by running this on my 15 amp circuit? Question 2- I'm looking at running the DC on some kind of remote and Home Depot in my area has a Heath/Zenith Indoor/Outdoor remote light control, model #SL-6139-C that is listed for 13 amp resistive according to the package. Will this unit be able to handle the DC-2 or is this a hazardous situation? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dale

Reply to
Dale

Mine is on a 15A, never a problem.

Question 2-

I have no idea, but it was designed for lighting, may not handle a motor load well. . I do have the Long Ranger and it works just fine. Very handy to have. It was about $50 Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

My Dust collector runs fine on my 15amp garage circuit. I also use the Long Ranger remote for controlling it. Works great and am very pleased with it.

Reply to
Orlun

My DC, a home built cyclone unit is on a 15 amp circuit but draws I think 11 amp. I have been using the Heath/Zenith Indoor/Outdoor remote for the past two months, works great and for only $12.

MGH

Reply to
MGH

I'd be concerned about the life time of the Heath/Zenith unit switching an inductive load like the motor. I believe that they make other units rated for switch inductive loads though. Resistive loads are less taxing on the switch since they don't have the same tendency to arc.

Phil

Edw>>electrically adept people. Question 1- The Penn State catalog lists

Reply to
PC

The Ace Hardware in my area has a remote unit that is rated for

1 1/2hp motors...for $25, IIRC.
Reply to
Chris Merrill

It sounds like we had a little synchronicity going on when we wired our dust collectors.

Mine is exactly the same setup, as I'm in a basement. The switches are on the center beam of the house.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Go to ebay and search for a NEMA size 0 or bigger contactor, two or three phase contactors will work just fine. ($20 absolute max even if you don't know how to find a bargain on ebay) Since you are running on 110v make sure to get a contactor with a 110v coil. Wire a plug onto the coil of the contactor and plug it into the Heath/Zenith remote. Wire another plug onto two of the poles on the contactor and a recepticle onto the other side of the two poles on the contactor.

The remote will be able to handle any load you throw at it, Dust collector, fan, stereo, heater all put together (14g wire won't though).

ie. a c>Right now I'm in the stage of researching the components for a dust

Reply to
Oughtsix