Question about reclaiming fumed oak lumber

I have a couple of cabinets made from fumed oak. They're beat up as cabinets but the wood's good. They were made by the "Jamestown Lounge Co." in the 60's. I read at the site

that they used a finishing process called fuming. IMHO it's ugly as sin. I'd like to disassemble, strip & sand to bare wood and use the wood for assorted projects.

My questions are how deep does the fuming process penetrate the wood?

How much stock thickness will I lose to totally get past the finish or is this wood a lost cause for reclaiming?

I'd appreciate any advise from anyone with actual experience fuming wood or reclaiming similar stock.

Thanks,

Mowgli

Reply to
Mowgli

Depth depends on how it was done. Gas phase is quite shallow (most browns), ebonising it with a liquid (blacks and "jacobean" dark browns) is much deeeper.

You can usually take the fumed surface off by planing, or by a belt sander. It's too deep to hand-sand it off, unless you're really obsessive.

I'm inclined to leave it. Fumed oak isn't unattractive - although I'll make an exception for the badly-detailed ye olde ffakery of Jamestown. I don't think it's the timber's fault !

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:13:33 +0000, Andy Dingley's fingers viciously stabbed at an innocent keyboard to form the now famous if slightly awkward haiku:

Hi Andy, I think I read somewhere that they used a gassing tent or some such thing. They are very dark hideous brown. Hopefully gas.

obsessive? not me ;) I have a belt sander anyways

Sounds like you have some experience with JLco. It's good lumber but untalented joinery. The glue-ups are starting to show in places. It is a f'ugly shade of dark brown. That poor oak never hurt anyone (well maybe a DWI if it was close to the road) I don't think it deserved such a fate.

Why did some people love this furniture co? Their Feudal Oak collection seems to have a lot of carving, etc... What's been your experience with their products? Is this (looks like) junk worth anything (besides reclaimed lumber)?

Thanks,

Mowgli

Reply to
Mowgli

Not really - I just make similar stuff myself. Except that mine _is_ a reproduction, not some bizarre "Hampton Court in a Florida trailer park" hybrid.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley