Question about polyurathane glue.....

What would you use to thin polyurthane glue? The stuff I have is getting a bit thick and I would like to thin it out some.

William Lee

Reply to
William Lee

That means it's past its prime. Time to buy a new bottle.

Yeah, I know, the stuff costs a lot more than Titebond, so you don't want to buy another bottle until you've gotten your money's worth out of this bottle, right? Consider the difference in cost between a new bottle, and a ruined project, if this glue turns out to be no good.

If you insist on thinning it and using it anyway, paint thinner (mineral spirits) may do the trick -- but, whether you thin it or not, I strongly suggest testing it with a couple pieces of scrap wood, to make sure that it still bonds adequately, before using it on any project you care about.

Doug Miller

Here's a quote from the FAQ's on the Excel web site:

"Can These Glues Be Thinned or Diluted?

We do not recommend thinning these glues in strength-related glue-ups. If the glue is being used to repair cracks, rot spots, etc., the glues can be diluted using about 30 to 50% acetone or lacquer thinner."

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

The cleanup solvent is acetone, so that should thin it. Don't know if it will still be any good afterwards.

Cheers,

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

gorilla glue says it's not a problem to thin it. but their glue has no solvents like other poly glues do. I have done it and it worked fine. but usually it's time to chuck it.

" Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

Reply to
Steve Knight

Reply to
Jim K

no the site does not mention it but the guys from gorilla glue do.