question about orbit sander disks

I went and bought a cheap black and decker sander (for very small jobs) with h&l but ordered 150 sanding disks with PSA/sticky backing. I could just buy more but they're expensive (600 and 1000 grit). Any ideas how I can make this combination play nice together?

Thanks!

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

With many sanders you can change out the pad. I can use H & L or PSA If I chose to. I would know however if B&D offers the PSA pad. Can you exchange the paper?

Reply to
Leon

Won't the dealer take them back? Return them and get the right ones is the easiest method. Or try selling them either here or eBay.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Vaughn" wrote in news:cvo6at$bi5$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xmission.com:

I don't have a solution for you on how to get the PSA affixed to a H&L sander, but...

600 & 1000 are grits I usually associate with the last rounds of a wood finishing process. Which I generally do by hand. YMMV.

Stick them to a hand sanding block?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I could return everything, I just wanted to get it done this weekend if possible and don't want to wait (bought the disks online). I'm pretty resourceful so I'm sure I'll figure something out ;-)

Reply to
Vaughn

Well then share it brother! I use 600 and 1000 to get started - knock down the high stuff and get started on the polishing - then go to the 1200, 1500 and 2000 to get rid of all the sanding marks, I do that all by hand - lot of work! After that I use the 3M polishing compounds so for my projects so 600 and 1000 are not the last rounds in my case. I'm finishing drums (acoustic drums) so they take much wear and tear and a nice glassy finish is my goal. So what's your solution? I promise to do the finish sanding by hand ;-). I got this sander because the first sandings are killing my wrists, even with a sanding block.

Thanks,

Vaughn

I don't think this one (cheap is the key here) has a PSA pad, but I'm going to try to find one. The sander I wanted was out of stock and came with both...dang! I messed up on my order, meant to buy H&L.

Reply to
Vaughn

I meant to say that the drums DON'T take much wear and tear.

Reply to
Vaughn

Vaughn,

Don't have a solution for you, but when you finish your next set, post some pics on ABPW. Don't see many drum projects around here.....

Joe

Reply to
Joe C.

Buy a couple of the real fine Hook & Loop disks. The PSA disks should stick to them and the the H&L disks go on your sander. This certainly isn't the best way, but it works. I do this now and then with a PC 6" ROS simply because I was given a bunch of PSA disks. It works OK as long as the underlying H&L disk is finer than the PSA disk that is actually being used. BTW I usually use the H&L disk first (or just keep a well used one on hand) so that it is worn down which seems to aid the PSA sticking to it.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

well, didn't work. I mean what I was using the orbit sander for didn't work so this whole discussion is moot. ;-) thanks for the input, I'll have more questions!

Vaughn