Question about glue and nails

Do brads give any additional strength at all when used with glue, OR, do they serve solely as a means of clamping the wood for the glue? If it's the latter then do they give enough clamping pressure? Offhand I can't remember getting as much glue squeezeout from nails or brads compared to clamping. TIA

Reply to
Bri

Bri asks:

Brads give no appreciable additional strength. Most people over-tighten clamps, so in those instances where brads are suitable, they almost always give enough clamping pressure

Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

Charlie Self

be careful not to squeeze out all the glue, if your getting a lot of glue squeeze out you either using too much glue or too much pressure.

Reply to
KYHighlander

Oops. So _that's_ what went wrong... Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

brads give no additional strength, just a temporary clamp and a good one at that.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

I think the strength of brads compared to the glue is negligible. I generally only use brads if it would be awkward to clamp it (moulding comes to mind) or I don't want to wait for the glue to dry to remove the clamps. In the latter I usually clamp it up then shoot a few brads in and remove the clamps. When not using clamps, like with moulding, I just tightly hold the piece in place and shoot the brads in.

Reply to
Larry C