Question about flooring wood and why it looks different shades

x-no-archive:yes
I have oak wood floor just put down in my kitchen. (As you know I have some rough cut lumber from a flooring company before it is made into flooring).
Why on my floor do the stains appear different shades? SOme are lighter/darker that others. I think they were made that way but how do they do that? If I build something with this wood and stain it will I have this problem? On a floor it looks ok but If I were building somethign I dont think I would want it to do that.
The wood simply absorbs stain to varying degrees. If it is a critical issue, then you will have to select pieces of the "same" color/darkness.
Quite possibly, your floor is just finished with poly and no stain. Wood floors, especially "rustic" or "vintage" grade will have many differences in shading from board to board. Heartwood and sapwood will vary in color naturally in just about every wood specie. --dave