Question about Euro Hinge *Mounting* Plates

The half dozen times I've done "Euro-Concealed-Blum" style hinges, I've either picked up a set from Home Depot that had the mounting plates, or I've order "0mm" mounting plates.

The catalogs list mounting plates "0mm", "3mm", "6mm" etc. What factors determine when you pick a certain size, other than a 0mm mount plate?

Thanks!

patrick conroy

I use the Euro style hinges all the time and buy them by the 100's. I do not use the 2 piece type that you are referring to but I suspect that the different sizes that you have listed are for the amount of overlay that you want over the face frame opening. I use a 1 piece Euro style Blum brand hinge and usually pay about $1.25 each.

Reply to
Leon

Sometimes two doors might share the same gable, at which point you need to reduce the overlay. (It is a situation to avoid at the design stage.) Other than that, talk to a Blum/Grass/Salice rep and have him set you up with the boring bits for the hinge cups, the overlay...make it a system and stick with it. The only time there should be an exception, is when you have either an inside or outside 45-degree door, or if you want a hinge that opens more than 110-degrees, like a 160. The mounting plates should never change, the set-back from the front of the cabinet will.

Another time when the thickness of the hinge plate will matter if you want to do a hybrid (A face-frame on a Euro-style gang-drilled cabinet), then you'll need to compensate for the intrusion of the face-frame into the edge of the cabinet...again, try to avoid that.

Reply to
Robatoy