Question about Dust Collectors

Page 1 of 2

Has anyone ever measured the decibel rating of their central shop vac? I'm looking for something that's as quiet as possible, suitable for using in a room in an apartment. Ideally, I'd be able to use it in the middle of the night without the neighbours banging on the door. I know that air flow is going to have it's own decibel rating. That's something I'd deal with after finding a suitable machine that's reasonably quiet from the get go.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

after
What are you going to be collecting dust from that by itself is quiet enough to run in an apartment in the middle of the night?
todd

enough
Bandsaw.

My Jet 650 with cartidge filter measured 68 db A weighted this morning in the basement. My basement is 30x36 stud wall with insulation on 2 outside walls, concrete on the other 2. Much stuff in the basement. Accoustically the basement is not as live as my living room which has hardwood flooors and a high sloping ceiling. I mention this trivial because the acoustics of the room and the construction/framing affect what the neighbors will hear. The dust collector makes a lot of noise in relatively low frequencies compared to the noises the bandsaw makes when cutting hardwood.
Jim B.

Yeah. It seems that everywhere I turn, I'm facing difficulties. This living in an apartment is literally driving me nuts for the single reason that I can't do the woodworking I'd really like to do. What I'd really like is to set up my tablesaw somewhere, but the bandsaw would do for a usable second choice. It might be that the only real relief I'm going to get is to rent some small floor space in a manufacturing or business environment. But, that has it's attendant problems too.
I run my bandsaw with no dust colletion and just sweep up after. Of course this is in the shop environment. Could you just vacum in the morning?

Several years ago, I helped a neighbor build a table for his wife. After the lamination of the maple, I loaned him my best plane at the time, a Stanley Handyman #4, and he took everything home to his apartment to work on the top.
Tiring of the miserable job of hand flattening the top with the wrong tool, and a bad one at that, clamped to the dinner table, I found that he was using a belt sander, in the dining room. Running the vacuum was the least of his worries before his wife got home. ;-)
The project turned out OK, though.
Patriarch

Possibly. My experience with wood dust though is that it manages to get everywhere and be tracked everywhere unless properly controlled. In an attempt to head that off, I'm thinking that catching most of it right from the bandsaw would be easier than vacuuming a wider area of floor space.

Power machines and apartment life just do not mix. However, I've done plenty of woodworking in an apartment using hand tools--even then had to deal with an occasional complaint. My habits eventually forced me into home ownership--not a bad thing for a woodworker. For an apartment, a simple shop vac will do. Expect to pay 30% or more for a quieter model.
I found an exhaust silencer for my 10 yr old ShopVac a few years ago, which civilizes it to about the level of the current quieter ShopVacs. Might even be quieter. Neighbors like it.
HTH, J
Upscale wrote:

I can easily carry on a conversation over the noise of my Penn State dust collector equipped with the optional muffler. I can't do it with my shop vac... the scream of the vac is just too loud.
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code 2000B&Category_Code2000
The dust collector by itself is supposed to be 65 db; the muffler is supposed to reduce it a further 5-10 db.
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code=SUP1000&Category_Code A
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Might be something I could use. Only problem is that it runs on 220v. Don't know if I could arrange a connection for that in a rented apartment. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.
Upscale wrote:

Try this one then:
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code 2V2&Category_Code2
Although the web site doesn't say, the draw is 16 amps at 110V, and the noise level is 67db. I just called them to ask if your interested in my source. The muffler I posted before will fit it as well and have the same effect.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code 2V2&Category_Code2
noise
The
Thanks. My next step is to approximate a few noises at approximately that decibel level to see it it's going to be too irritating for the neighbours.
Upscale wrote:

Here's a pretty good page to look at to get an idea of what X number of decibels represent:
http://www.lhh.org/noise/decibel.htm
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Maybe you could get a neighbor or 2 interested in woodworking? Kind of like inviting all the neighbors to a party... most won't come, but the one's that don't come won't complain about the noise..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code 2V2&Category_Code2
I contacted Penn State support for a dealer in or near Toronto, Canada and they've given me Kidder Manufacturing 39 Glen Cameron Rd Unit 3 Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Phone# 1 800 263 3556
Thanks.

Is your stove electric? Dryer?

Don't
All electric, so the power's there, just haven't actually looked into transferring some of it to another room. However, at this time it's all conjecture. I'm in a single bedroom apartment at this point. While finding and renting an affordable wheelchair accessible workspace outside the where I live so far has been close to impossible, moving to a two bedroom apartment is well within the bounds of possibility. One step at a time.
The "Caddy" of shop vacs: (hold your wallet before looking at this)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)23166601/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-0298874-9330243?v=glance&s=hi&nP7846
57 db....