Question about decks and Kreg Jig kit...

Page 2 of 2
basilisk wrote: ...

???
Trees add growth on the outer boundaries so the cores are the oldest wood in the tree.

True, but not for that reason...

Yes, it is the oldest wood in the tree, but it was formed when the tree was a juvenile and is referred to as such in the lumber and paper business.
Stated another way the tree had to reach a certain age before it could produce quality wood fiber.
basilsik
On 6/4/2010 12:40 PM, basilisk wrote:

In other words one should avoid heartwood at all costs?

not at all, heartwood in pine is another issue and may take many years to form, most southern pine is cut(now) before it ever gets to the heartwood stage in its life.
The young tree wood or juvenile wood stage in a tree may be passed in as little as an inch in diameter or it may last to six or eight inches in diameter in a plantation pine. Depends entirely on the growing conditions.
basilisk

IIRC Stallmans sells Kiln Dried PT lumber.
the following:

They all do that. Since PT is made using only the -finest- in SPF, given half a chance and a sunny day, it twists on less than a nickel.
-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin
Jay Pique wrote:

That's what I thought when I built my deck, and used a 16d nail as a spacer. The PT was not sopping wet, it was fairly dry for PT stuff, and damn, I wish I had ignored my instinct. Of course, had I done that, the damn stuff certainly would not have shrink, but expanded. Instinct is hard to ignore....
--
Jack
Obama Care...Freedom not Included!
wrote the following:

I use my 1/4" square drive bit to set the gap. It ensures that not much debris will get caught between the boards to keep them wet and continue to degrade them. Nobody I know wears stiletto pumps. I can't even remember ever -seeing- a lady in heels on a deck, so I'm not worried. YMMV.
P.S: Ever see what happens to a composite deck when no spacing is left between the boards and the summer sun hits it? SPROING! Screws pop through the deck boards as they find themselves confined and deck boards go tilting upward.
-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin
On 6/3/10 10:01 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, any of that stuff with plastic in it expands quite a bit, doesn't it?
--

-MIKE-

Take a lookat this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBG29lzKys
Not a very practical device, IMO.
> Take a lookat this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBG29lzKys

I didn't listen to audio but watching it the only time they show screwing from both sides it looks like about 1/2" gap.

TOH demonstrated a few seasons ago, an invisible deck fastening system called EB-TY (easy to find with Google search). This uses a #20 biscuit slot with their proprietary hardware. Tom Silva made it look easy. He makes most jobs look easier than they are. It does fasten both edges of the deck board.
Joe G

My first impression, and I might be totally wrong. But it looks like it would slow the process quite a bit.
With that said, I suspect they have thought it through. Most Kreg products reflect a fair amount of thought and utility.
RonB