Question About Cool Blocks

Page 2 of 2
Superior, IMHO. I'm a turner, and when cutting rough wet timber into big circles, the cool blocks at the left wore away fairly quickly.
The ceramics are slick, sturdy, and don't care about sap removal with solvent if you're resawing red pine or tamarack. Just make sure the blade can't slide behind, or it's spark and curse time.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

Micarta}.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

No problem ... 30' out the back door, in freezing snow and rain, uphill both ways, had to fight my way through piles of reindeer crap that fell off the roof .. but for you, nothing's too tough! ;>)

fine
On mine the mechanism that holds each cool block is basically a short square tube. When tightened from the front, the cool blocks are pushed against the back of the square tube, automatically squaring them perfectly with the blade.
It wouldn't make any difference if they were only 1/4" square, when tightened they would still be square to the blade
If you have a newer model, perhaps that mechanism is different?
Good luck ... and have Merry Christmas.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/23/03
Swingman said:

Aw, gee... <blush> You're to good to me... Well, at least if you had to scrape reindeer poop off your shoes, Santa must have made a visit. Or maybe he just mistook your shop for a waste dump. <g>

I don't think they have changed the basic configuration, but I could be wrong. Cheapened it, perhaps. The screws press the block against the back OK, but they still rock axially - top and bottom. Makes the block wear crooked and pinches the blade if you don't install them tilted - with the slop removed.
Anyway, I shimmed them and just finished cutting up a 12" x 2' oak 'log'. I was actually amazed that this cheap saw actually accomplished the task with very little effort. The WoodSlicer blade cuts extremely quietly, and has little lead. I am impressed.
Unfortunately, the oak had tons of worm tracks through it, so I guess it was of benefit only as learning experience. (The wood sat outside for 8 months.) It would have been better used as a turning blank - or firewood. Norm would like it, however - he likes those worm holes.
Incidentally, do you know of a source on the web that covers the basics of selecting and re-sawing wood - the procedures for selecting which face to cut for the best yield, grain patterns and such?
Thanks again, Greg
Greg G.
Greg, Got anymore of that 'wormy' stock ?
I'll take a good bit of it 'off your hands'.
Put an 'eye' bolt in it, toss it off the dock to 'river soak' for a month {or till spring}and it will have that nice 'smooth & wormy' look . . . for some unique nautical projects I have in mind.
Yes, I am serious !!
Regarding the Ceramic guides . . . they make the blade 'sing' a bit. But then I may have my blade too loose. I'll probably get a 'set' of the heavier springs after the New Year {Yes - I do have Timberwolf blades, but the springs are a good idea, at the price, anyway}. My thinking is that the 'Cool Blocks' or the self-made hardwood ones are almost considered 'disposable' . . . the blade wears through them and there is 'friction heating' to consider. The Ceramics would 'run cooler' and 'burnish' the blade . . . especially with a 1/2" or 3/4" 'Resawing' blade in slight but actual contact. At least that's my thinking. So far, no problems with 'standard' blades with 'standard' set-up.
Regards & Thanks, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop
<Greg G.> wrote in message

I have them on a 14" Delta and they work just fine. Install them per instructions and use them. You don't need a .001" slip fit on these.
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)