Question about air staplers - help appreciated!

Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm looking to purchase an air stapler that takes a narrow crown staple (1/4"?). So far I've found that most advise the minimum staple length recommended is 3/8". My question is, is it a definite NO-NO to use a 1/4" staple length in a gun that recommends 3/8"?
Any help appreciated!
ncgirl wrote:> So far I've found that most

Only if you want to keep the warranty intact. But seriously, stick to the manufacturer's recommendations, or maybe use a manual stapler? Tom
of the shop and said. . .:

umm yes
it wont work
get the stanley bostich narrow crown stapler,,,you wont be dissapointed
Traves
The wood that I'm stapling is about 3/8" thick. I've found that often times the staples are slightly too long and penetrate too deeply so as to cause splitting. I'm hoping that a shorter leg length will help alleviate the problem.
Cheers.

stapler
is
Southland)
Yep. Check your air opressure to make sure you aren't overpowering the staples. They should just dent the surface of the wood.