Question about a woodworking show

Page 1 of 3
I was thinking of going to the show in Western Mass this weekend. Are there any deals to be had at these shows. Do they have special show pricing on some items.
Just wondering if anyone knew what the deal was. pun intended
This is the show
http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/Shows/BostonMAFeb2022/tabid/69/Default.aspx
Thanks
Larry C
I went to the Atlanta show looking for a deal on big iron. I was disappointed, but maybe because I'm comparing it to shows from years ago.
What are looking for deals on?
jc

http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/Shows/BostonMAFeb2022/tabid/69/Default.aspx
Ya never know until ya go.
These shows have kind of been in decline (unfortunately) over the past few years with seemingly fewer and fewer exhibitors and rising costs to attend (and park), etc. such that the value proposition is dwindling. That's a sad thing for me. Anyway, with the competition of the Internet and the current economy I'm just not sure they will survive. There was a rumor they were being closed down and I think some events have been cancelled.
It would be great, if you do attend, to report back on your impressions.
BW

I had the same question today and wrote to a friend who has been to the one I'm going to in Somerset, NJ on 2/27. Here's his reply, although it has been a few years since he's been to one.
==========schedule: http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms /
In addition to the tool manufactures they have vendors, suppliers, demonstrators, seminars and lectures.( http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/Shows/SomersetNJFeb27Mar1/tabid/92/Default.aspx ) Also individuals who rent out booth space. Bring both cash and credit card as they have a number of 'show specials'.

I hope there are deals, I also am planning on attending Somerset next weekend.

http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/Shows/BostonMAFeb2022/tabid/69/Default.aspx
The Woodworking Shows IIRC are under new management. They have been coming to Houston for years. It is up to the particular vendor as to what kind of deals will be offered. I suspect that if you make an offer they might offer a better deal. Concerning new management, for the first time in 25 or so years the location has changed for the Houston show. IIRC it is going to be in an adjacent town, Katy, TX and parking will be free.

The most exciting part of the Tucson show was the woman hawking the "Grabbit" screw extractor tool. Say hi for me! There'll be deals on really long chinese-made combination squares that aren't square, phenolic table saw inserts that aren't flat, lotsa demos and overpriced junk food. One thing to look for is a discounted admission coupon, usually available for printing on the website. There's the deal, IMO. Tom
I went to the Baltimore show in January. I been going for several years, and if you're into woodworking and want to kill a some time, it is interesting just to walk around and see and touch stuff you've only seen in catalogues, or stuff you've never even seen. Some demos can be convincing if you've already been leaning towards a purchase of for example the "dubby". At the Balto show there was also woodworking guilds displaying their work. The bridge city booth usually has a guy cutting dovetails by hand (I can't recall if I saw him this year). Lee Valley give 10% off the catalogue price - no taxes, no shipping. Not a gloat, but a good deal. They also have a bench and some scraps so you can try out the planes, saws and what not. I also saw a 1 hr presentation from Graham Blackburn that was interesting
So for the price of a movie ticket you can kill about twice as much time. And compared to the movies, the food is a bargain...
Mitch
I posted this review on the Nashville one, a couple months ago...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com / This thing travels the country most of the year and has been doing so for a long time. I remember going, maybe 10 years ago, and being amazed and impressed. This time... in a word.... pretty lame. Ok two words. Anyway.....
If you have to drive far (probably too late for those already driving... sorry), don't bother. If you're in Nashville, since college football is over, and you have 6-9 bucks to spare, check it out. Juts don't hold your breath waiting to be floored.
Peachtree Woodworking Supply out of Atlanta basically has half the floorspace, displaying the same stuff you see in their catalogs..... and everyone else's.... which is great if you're looking to stock up on all that woodworking nuts-n-bolts stuff and save yourself a bunch of shipping.
If it weren't for our local Woodcraft store's presence, there would've been virtually no power tools at the show. And these guys were thinking of not even participating this year. They saved the show from bordering on being a complete joke, in my book.
Notable exception.... and quite possibly worth the price of admission and travel, alone. This guy: http://www.stockroomsupply.com/V_Drum_Sander.php This uniquely designed drum sander is nothing short of amazing and must be seen to be fully appreciated.
Final word... for the most part, this show has become at best, disappointing, at worst, a real joke. Most of the products you would expect to see at a woodworking show are absent. Maybe it's a case of the manufacturers not seeing a profitable market in Nashville. Maybe all the cool tools and new, exciting technologies show up in the bigger markets. Man, I sure hope so....

-MIKE-

http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/Shows/BostonMAFeb2022/tabid/69/Default.aspx
Western MA????? Did they re-arrange the state?
I've only been to a couple of shows. No big bargains, but there are some worthwhile. I saved about $50 when I bought a saw blade and dado blade. But there were no $1500 off the price of a Unisaw.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Maybe he's got the map upside down.

I grew up on the Northshore. Went to college in Boston.
Anything west of 128 is Western MA, west of 495 is the Berkshires.
The above comment makes no sense unless you live here.
Larry C wrote:

It does to me. I know folks in NYC that call Westchester County "Upstate NY". <G>

Yes, sort of parochial. But for the other viewers, Worcester is considered Central MA and Marlboro is east of that. For the rest of us, western MA starts around Rt 91

ENE of that area, across the North Sea about 70 miles, not far from 51 59'11N 0539'52E
After the Boston area now in the NYC area.
--
Best regards
Han

Droevendaalseseteeg Road?
wrote in message

That was the first thing that came up when I googled Wageningen and longitude.
Generally, a "steeg" is a small road, or rather alley. In this case it used to be a narrow road through the grasslands there, but now is a somewhat bigger road with university/research buildings. Droevendaal is probably the name of an old farm(stead). One meaning of daal or dal is valley, and droef means sad. Looking up droevendaal gets you first a link to a picture of a toilet in student housing, secondly a link to the "Organic Experimental and Training Farm Droevendaal". That picture is very much like the area where I grew up. I can smell the landly smells (natural fertilizer from the farms' animal stalls!) from my youth!!
Wageningen is an 800 year or so old "city" with a world famous agricultural university. It is also the site of a 5-day battle at the start of WWII, and the surrender of German troops to General Foulkes (on May 5, 1945 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Foulkes_(Canadian_general).
--
Best regards
Han

The Dutch know a thing or two about long words. To wit:
elektriciteitsproductiemaatschappij hottentottensoldatententententoonstelling potentiaalvereffeningswandcontactdoosafdekplaatje. zandzeepsodemineraalwatersteenstralen
and my favourite:
autobandventieldopjesfabrieksdirectricesassistentesuniformenknoop
Robatoy wrote:

You realize, of course, that your post will stymie the DHS computers for the next 483 years...
:0)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

(i.e. : the uniform button of the assistant (female) to the director (female) of the factory making valve cover for automobile inner tubes

Morris, I agree that would be a good thing.
Btw, those phrases from Robatoy are really "germanisms" (Dutch, meaning words that are transliterated into Dutch from German, or analogous to German). In fact they are concatenated adjectives and nouns.
My favorite (favourite) is the German phrase-in-a-word: Eisenbahnknotenpunkthienundherschiebershauschen "rail road intersection switch operator's little house"
Obviously, in "real" English the sequence of words would be different, but I have kept them synchronized with the Dutch/German here. <smile!>
I did go by Lowe's this morning to buy a piece of "top choice" 1x3x8ft pine. I need to resaw this for edging around salvaged plywood to be converted from relatively big doors to relatively small drawer fronts. I have to remember that this Lowe's, like the new Home Depot, also in Paterson off Rt 20, are in 3% sales tax zones. Regular salestax in Jersey is 7%.
--
Best regards
Han