question about 1950's Unisaw motor mounting

I have a 1950's Unisaw with the oval cutout in the cabinet. It came with a new motor and a dead 'old' motor. I've had the old motor rewound and bearings replaced, and am ready to install it.

[Side story: when I went to pick up the old motor, I paid and the couter person rolled the motor out on a cart but said "want a minute, Mr. Jones (forgot the real name) wants to talk to you. So the older guy in the back who actually does the rewinding comes out--althogh he recognized it as coming from a Unisaw, apparently my motor was unusual enough that he wanted to see who had brought it in. He told me appreciatively "they don't make them like that anymore" and "it should last another fifty years now". Thought you guys would enjoy that.]

So I'm trying to put the old motor back on, and the pin won't go in. When I got the saw, there was a bolt through the motor and carriage, but I dutifully replaced it with the 'correct' Delta pin. I put the motor down, and sure enough, although the pin is a snug fit in the carriage, it's too small for the holes in the brackets on the motor.

I could try to find a smaller pin, but that would just be loose in the carriage. I think the easiest 'fix' would be to drill the holes in the motor brackets to fit the pin, but I thought I'd consult the wisdom of rec.woodworking before removing metal I can't easily put back... Anyone know if there's a difference between the pin diameter on the new versus old Unisaws?

Also, my 'old' motor is missing the inspection caps and junction box cover, so if anyone has a set they'd like to sell, please email me.

Thanks, Heath

Reply to
htroberts

That is what they told me when I had the bearings replaced on my repulsion-induction motor. Well, of course they certainly don't. They told me that my 1 hp repulsion-induction motor would outwork any 1 1/2 hp capacitor start-induction run motor. Perhaps that is the case, but I will never get the chance to try a test. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Must be... :)

Mayhaps the motor wasn't the actual motor from the saw itself if the pin fits the carriage but not the motor brackets?

Although, I suppose they have had a two-sized pin...

Don't see a problem w/ the drill-out scenario assuming there will be enough material left after you do so.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I have no problem drilling it and if I screwed up I just weld another piece and drill again.

Reply to
Fred

Mine's a 1948 and when I reconditioned and reassembled I remember grunting to get the motor into the correct position to install the pin. Are you sure you are trying to put the pin in the pin hole? I know that sounds stupid, but I had to ask. One hole is for the pin, the other for the bolt. The pin should be in the forward (towards the dust door) position. Its puzzling since you had to pull the pin out to get the motor and hanger out.

Before you waste time drilling, welding or whatever, call the sawcenter and ask them what you'r doing wrong. They have sold/rebuilt hundreds of Unisaws over the years and have a nice tutorial on their web page on how to tear-down and re-assemble.

CaptMike