ques about NiCd vs NiMh battery charging

will the NiCd charger work on NiMh replacement batteries? tia john
"john" <jcfreeATcenturytelDOTnet> wrote in message

If it is a newer style Class 2 or similar Hi-capacity charger yes in most cases (you do not specify Battery or charger make or models) if it is an older standard Ni-Cd only charger no in most cases (it will probably not charge the battery fully & if the charger has built in diagnostics of some description it may misread the battery condition, also possible damage to the ocr, reset, transformer or circuit board or other gadgets on some chargers may occur, auto shut off may be triggered prematurely or not at all........
What make & models are you talking about??
--
Jon Down
john writes:

For a definitive answer, "It depends." On the batteries and the charger, but mostly on the charger. My AA NiMH charger works jsut fine with NiCads. I'd had to promise yours would: check with the manufacturer of one or the other.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
On 30 Jan 2004 15:16:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

This question is in regard to Makita 9.6v drill driver & a Makita 3/8 impact wrench (also 9.6v). I was trying to see if the Ultralast (aftermarket) NiMh batteries or even the Makita replacements would work in my chargers. I have 2 chargers, both charge fairly fast like 45 min. One is automatic & the other has a start button & a reset button. Seems like replacement NiCd are getting extinct but the NiMh stuff (from Mak) gives me sticker shock.....and I didn't want to spring for the NiMh & then have to buy another charger....it's a damn conspiricy I tell you-oh, never mind, I'm getting to old for this hi tech shit anyway!
"john" <jcfreeATcenturytelDOTnet> wrote in message (Charlie Self)

The answer is no in your case (not very well anyhow), however the hi-capacity chargers that come with NiMh cordless tools do a great job of charging NiCd's & in many cases even seem to rejuvenate an ailing battery quite noticeably.
--
Jon Down

the thing is you will get more charges from a nicad pack. the only thing Nimh gives you is a higher capacity you may get a longer run time. it's give and take.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
No. The two technologies have differing charge requirements.
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:37:13 -0500, john <jcfreeATcenturytelDOTnet> wrote:

well somewhat. nicads can be charged with a higher amp then NiMh can. my rc car charger says only 3 amps for NiMh and up to 5 for nicads because of heat. they don't really charge any differently they just have a higher capacity. so if a timer is used then they would not charge enough if a peak charger or temp is used they should work.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On 30-Jan-2004, john <jcfreeATcenturytelDOTnet> wrote:

Yes, but not well. NiMH batteries don't charge the same way as NiCd and using the wrong type of charger will shorten their life. If it's a dumb, very slow charger (12-14 hour type) it won't make much difference, but if it's fast charger - good luck.
Mike
Mine will, Makita, handles all their batteries up to and including 18v. I can't say in your case, I missed the part where you say what brand you're referring too.=)
HTH, Jeffo
"john" <jcfreeATcenturytelDOTnet> wrote in message

In that case you already have a hi-capacity charger which will do both, the older ones that initially came with the older NiCd kits will not effectively charge NiMh batteries.
--
Jon Down
My eBay items currently listed:

Right you are!
Jeffo
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:37:13 -0500, john <jcfreeATcenturytelDOTnet> wrote:

Yes.
Badly.
Batteries are more expensive than chargers. Look after them. Some chargers are switchable, some autoswitch (generally only for "intelligent" batteries though). If it's a NiCd-only charger though, it's something you can do to "get the job finished", but you'll reduce battery life by making a habit of it.
If you do do it, disconnect the battery as soon as its charged or warm.