Query: Pocket Hole Tearout

Folks -
I was working on some cabinets and had tearout of the birch veneer when I drilled pocket holes for mounting the face frame. These are shop cabinets, but I am also going to be building "the real thing" soon and don't want any PH tearout. I am using a new, sharp drill bit - what's going on?
If I put even a thin piece of scrap under the hole jig to back up the veneer face, it'll change raise the location of the screw hole in the end of the rail. That doesn't seem right.... Do you think masking tape would work? 's a thought...
Someone must have already had this come up. Comments?
John Moorhead Lakeport, CA
"NEW" isn't always "SHARP" .. .. .. get a bit from KREG (LOWE'S has them now) and try it again.
john moorhead wrote:

-- I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!
How fast are you spinning the drill bit?
John
john moorhead wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 07:32:25 GMT, "john moorhead"

I haven't had good luck getting clean entry holes with a pocket hole drill. I only use them in locations where they will never be seen or touched.     Bridger