Quality of Ryobi tools (especially router)

Hello,
I am a sunday woodworker and own an OK set of tools (according to my standard/useage at least). I want to buy a new router (my $5 ebay one having given the genie out) and I was looking at the Ryobi RE1803BK and the porter cable 694VK.
the Ryoby is cheaper ($150), 2HP, comes with a plunge base, a d handle base and a fixed base (will be used to create a table).
the porter cable is smaler in size more expensive (200), 1.75 HP and comes with the fixed and plunge base too.
What do you think is the best? is it worth the price difference?
thanks, cyrille

Do you want a Yugo or a Mercedes? Buy the PC and be forever happy with it.
I had the Craftsman version of the Ryobi and gave it away.

Routers are probably the worst tool Ryobi makes. Famous for years for their "automatic hight adjustment."
GTO(John)
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:51:04 GMT, "cyrille de brbisson"

get the porter cable
Honest assessment. I bought a cheap router. It did the job for me. But a Porter Cable with fixed and plunge base, runs $350 in my part of the world. The Ryobi is $150.
If I could have bought a PC for $200 I would have bought it. PC is quality. Pay the little extra and buy a router with a good name, which you can get support and accessories for.
For example. Higher end routers usually have micro height adjustment. One PC router that I looked at could be dialed in to 1/128th of an inch. The ryobi and other less expensive routers won't have that feature.
A guide fence with a micro adjustment feature would be nice too. You can get them for the higher end routers. It won't fit mine and I doubt you will find one for the Ryobi - but I could be wrong.
To put it simply. The extra $50 will pay off in the end.
Just my opinion..
Pat
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:51:04 GMT, "cyrille de brbisson"

I have had some Ryobi tools that were pretty good, especially my old 12-5/16" surface planer. However, I was helping my daughter Christmas shop for a router for her husband last year and Ryobi was on her list. I am not sure of the model but two of the machines in the store had the worst depth lock I have seen. I could set it and easily change the depth by 1/16" with fairly moderate hand pressure. This is a built-in frustration feature not to mention expensive in terms of ruined hardwood.
Spend $60 to $100 more and get a Bosch, Porter Cable or Dewalt. When you consider the cost of Oak or Walnut it is a pretty low premium for quality.
I had a Ryobi that I hassled with for about 1 year. Nothing but bad results and hard getting those.
I bought a new Milwaukee and brother is it great. Buy the PC or another name brand and let Ryobi keep theirs. You will not regret it.
RonT
If it's not a secret, where might I get my hands on the PC for 200?

i just got a pc router at the local rockler store. dual base. 250 on sale for 200. with the $25 mailin rebate last month, it came to 175 total. i think even the borg had it on sale recently for 200.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
I'm all new at this but here's my 2 cents. Last fall I purchased the Ryobi RE1800PL which I thought worked well, but then again being my first router I don't know what "good" is. Well this past fall I was getting into my shop again I found my Ryobi took for ever to startup to speed and made vibration when used. Kinda always vibrated anyways and just figured it was economy bits I was using. Now this thing only has a few hours of work time on it so since warranty expired I stepped up to the PC 893PK. I couldn't believe the difference between the two. Like going from a Geo to a Porsche! Got mine at Lowes for 249 - 10% for matching HD coupon.