Quality of Canadian Tire Rotary Tool vs Dremel

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Canadian Tire Mastercraft corded Rotary tool compared with the Dremel MultiPro corded variable speed?
I've read that the mastercraft is infact built by dremel. Does anyone know if this is true?
I was talking to dremel sales rep who pointed out the the dremel has user-serviceable parts in the motor. Does anyone know if the mastercraft can also be serviced?
According to the Canadian tire catalogue, the mastercraft unit can use Dremel bits(this is good). Does anyone know if the Mastercraft can use Dremel parts like the Drill Press attachment? Looking at images, the Dremel and the Mastercraft look to be about the same size.
The speed range of the mastercraft seems to be abit narrower (8,000 - 32,000 RPM ) than the Dremel (5,000-35,000 RPM). Is this a significant difference?
The tool would be being used for light wood work, etching pc boards, cutting thin plastic, removing rust, polishing odds and sods around the house.
Does anyone have any general comments comparing the Mastercraft and Dremel?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Stephan
I've had 3 real Dremels and now have the CTC 'clone'.Either works OK for me,it's more the man than the machine as far as talent goes. I thought the CTC unit was a Black and Decker unit, though with my failing eyesight,well,...... I'd wait until they go on sale after Xmas and buy the best deal.
Jay
Thanks for your comments
The CTC (I presume you mean Canadian Tire Craftsman) is on sale at the moment for much less than the which is what is attracting me to it. While we're not going to be using everyday, I don't want to buy something that's going to die on me the day after the warrenty expires. The Dremel has user replaceable parts, which I generally think is a good thing.
I've never owned one of these tools so I have no first hand experience but I'm wondering if the narrower speed range on the CTC compared with the dremel is noticable.
Do you have any thoughts?
Thanks again
Stephan

On 16-Dec-2003, stephan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca (Stephan) wrote:

CT Corp?

I just came back from a CT and looked at their Mastercraft unit. I'd say buy the Dremel. Dremel has been around for ages (I first wanted one when I was 12, for model making). I don't know who makes the CT version, but I don't think it's Dremel.
Mike
(Stephan) wrote:

The vast majority of the more recent Mastercraft power tools these days were made by McCulloch, you can check that by the first digits in the CTC model # ... 54-XXXX-X is McCulloch if I remember right, some other recent offenders include Talon & Pontel.
The true quality of Mastercraft tools in general is hit & miss, some are great value, some just do not perform, all in all they are intended for the consumer market & not the professional end user, you get what you pay for in most cases.
CTC stands for Canadian Tire Corporation BTW.
--
Jon Down
I don't know what you'll be using it for but I have the Canadian Tire cutout tool. It is on sale this week from 149.99 to 99.99. It does everything a dremel-size tool will, but has more power and it comes with a small router base for light routing and a flexible shaft for precision hand held work. I haven't taken out my small dremel since I have this cutout tool.