Quality in Chest of Drawers

Page 2 of 2
Oh, and one story for you Bill. This AM, I woke up early and left the kids sleeping and routed fixed shelf dados in another set of bookcase uprights, then sanded everything and brought inside to assemble in the mostly empty FLR. My 2 yr old daughter got up and was eager to "help" daddy and I was applying glue to the dados on the floor before inserting the shelves, and before I could blink an eye, she had stuck her fingers in the dado and was wiping the glue off her fingers on the oak plywood! She has this incredible talent for finding the most damaging thing and heading right for it - I had a plastic square, a rubber mallet, other "toys" laying about but the dado with glue in it was her first priority! Well, I used a wet sponge to try to get all the glue off, but if there is mark there on the wood, I'll fondly remember her "helping me" as I assembled the bookcases!
Scott

My mom would've applied the rubber mallet to me--I'm glad that you restrained yourself! ;)
-Bill
scott wrote:

Their stains are hard to match because most are multi-step processes involving different colors of dyes, pigments, glazes, and possibly colored waxes. The different colored layers create a complex look that is nearly impossible to get in one step. As you back away, the item looks like it's one color, but the color can seem to change as you get close or change angles.
There are some good mission recipes @ homesteadfinishing.com. Make up some sample panels and I'll bet you can get really close to the purchased stuff if you don't expect too much from one step coloring products.
Most mission and Stickley finishes lend themselves very well to hand application, spraying isn't at all necessary unless time is an issue, so make up some panels, keep notes, and have fun!