Quality Bandsaw Blades?

Page 1 of 2
Hi all. First post here. After working in my dad's commercial cabinet shop for 12 years growing up, I'm now out on my own and putting together my own garage workshop for my amusement.
My new Grizzly 14" bandsaw arrived yesterday, and I'm wondering what brand of blades I should buy. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't mind paying for quality if it will serve me well.
Thanks in advance, Tim
gator_garage_woodshop wrote:

I've had all kinds and price ranges of blades. I found that some of the more expensive blades covered for my lack of tuning experience. I now use $10-12 Olsen and BC Saw blades with great results.
Barry

Speaking of BC saw blades, there is a great article in Dec2004 FWW magazine about bandsaw tips. The author mentions that he uses the regular carbon blades that BC sells. They're made by Starrett, so you know the quality is there.
Mark Howell wrote:

Right! *And*, they're like $10 each. <G>
Barry
Olsen, Woodslicer (Highland Hardware)
Dave
gator_garage_woodshop wrote:

My G0555 14" Ultimate bandsaw came yesterday also. I've been searching the archives for a couple of weeks finding out everything I could about this perticular bandsaw and what I would need to do to get set up proper and came to the conclusion Timberwolf blades from http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/ would be my best bet. Other ones mentioned often are Lenox and Olson. Check google groups, you will find more then enough information there.
On a side note I found http://www.forrestblades.com/timberwolf_1.htm has Timberwolf blades at a pretty decent price. Anyone know if these are the same Timberwolfs that Suffolk sells?

I've really only used the Timberwolf blades - and the no-name cheapie that came with my Delta saw plus a couple Woodcraft brand blades. I'm very satisfied with the Timberwolf performance as well as the ordering/receiving process. (Order by phone and generally receive by USPS Priority Mail within 4 days or so.)

Considering that 3D Saw Blades is merely a middleman to both Forrest and Suffolk Machine (Timberwolf) they better be the same blades. Additionally, 3D is charging more than direct from Suffolk. I happen to have a receipt from a recent order from Suffolk and costs for the two 105" blades (1/4", 6 tooth & 3/8", 3 tooth) was about 25%-30% less going direct than the prices listed on 3Ds site. (Both charge similar for shipping - $6.70 for my order.)
Suffolk - 1-800-234-7297
____

Suffolk owner Art commented several years ago he "allowed" PS to sell his blades at shows and more people are selling his blades. Prior to that there was a thread here about an editor of a WW magazine that touted HIGH tension on blades that resulted in repair shops getting calls for bearing replacements. I'd just tried the Highland Woodslicer that needed high tension and switched to Suffolk and haven't looked back. Since that time Highland has another generation of Woodslicer that gets high marks.

First you need to decide what types of sawing you planning on doing:
Resawing thick (3", 6", 9") pieces? Rough cutting green wood? General purpose cutting in 1"-2" stock? Curves with tight radii?
Once you've decided what's important, give Suffolk Machinery a call - makers of Timberwolf blades - and the phone guy or gal will recommend which of their blades will best serve your uses. They really are knowledgeable and will direct you to the best product they have to suit your needs - the cost differences between the different blade configurations is only a few bucks, so they aren't out to sell you something just to make more money.
The blade prices for a 14" saw with no riser run about $15.30 to $22, with most in the $16.50-$17.50 range.
BTW, when I ordered a couple/few weeks back, they were running a special: buy 3 blades get another free - I don't know how long that promo was running, but it might be worth it to ask.
Suffolk Machinery - 1-800-234-7297
____

Thanks very much for all the informative responses. I think I'll be giving Suffolk a call soon. Their website was very informative. I'm looking forward to trying out the Timberwolf blades.
You might want to remember Grizzly's cool block holder guide, PN P1019005A, in the event you want to replace ball bearing guide to a Block guide. Each block guide cost $2.50 - two require. Further, Woodcraft's is having a sales on their 1/2" Olson cool guide blocks (Woodcraft's P/N 49H02) for $10.10.
I suggest you try Olson BS blade, instead of Timberwolf.

Wouldn't you need 4 of the Block holders (assuming you replace the lower bearings as well) or are they sold in pairs? Cheers, cc

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:54:47 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
They are sold in pairs and you need two pairs. When you call Grizzly, just give them the part number P1019005A.

What's the advantage of using the block guides instead of the bearings?
Blocks work better for narrow blades (1/4"). Imagine the teeth of a 1/4 blade hitting the bearings. Not a good thing; you'll instantly dull your blade.
Dave
gator_garage_woodshop wrote:

gator_garage_woodshop wrote:

When I ordered my Grizzly G1019 a number of years ago I also ordered their ball bearing guides. The ball bearing guides were so poorly made the wouldn't adjust to within an 1/8" of the blade. There was so much slop they were useless. I went back to the block guides and picked up a set of "Cool Blocks".
Hopefully Grizzly's quality control on their ball bearing guides have improved since I ordered mine.

You might be interested to know Woodcraft is having a sales now for their Olsen's Cool Block now. I bought two sets (8 pcs).

Guide blocks have an added advantage over roller bearings when you cut green wood. The wet dust will get packed onto the blade and the bearing surfaces - makes for a loud, rumpety experience. Then you've got to scrape the blade and bearings clean.
____

Just as an aside - I stopped in Woodcraft Saturday and was looking at Band Saws. The sales guy was talking about bearing guides and I made the comment "don't most guys take those off and put on blocks ?".
He looked at me as if I'd just farted in front of him and said "No ! - it's just the opposite ! No one likes, or wants to use blocks when they can have bearings - bearings are a LOT better than blocks"
I'm not a Band Saw guy (yet) so I din't argue with him. Just seems like I've heard differently here.
jim

P1019005A,
block
their
Sorry, forgot to add, I have a bad experienced with Southfolk and I promised never to buy from them again. Try Olson, you will not regret it.