qiuet planners

Hi Guys
We recently moved into a townhouse complex . have yet to start with some new projects, as we are still unpacking. My planner is a Delta ( old and loud) . You guys with the newer planners . are there ones with lower decibels, that are less annoying to neighbours?
thanks
Gordon Menzies wrote:

Any of the portable planers the use a universal motor are going to be loud. A planer with an induction motor would be somewhat less noisy. The least expensive unit I can think of would be the Grizzly G1021 15" planer. See:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?ItemNumber=G1021
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Based on recent magazine reviews, the benchtop ones range from Quite Loud to *VERY*LOUD*. I think the quietest one was measured at 98db, and the loudest at 106db. Some of the bigger floor units may be somewhat less obnoxious (at least 'at idle', when not actually cutting wood), mostly due to different motor design.
By the nature of the beast, it's not easy to quiet it down a whole lot, either.
I use hand planes and hand tools for this very reason. The only stationary power tools I have are a 14" Delta bandsaw and a 10" Dayton drill press which are relatively quiet machines when being used.
If you have your own garage with a door I'd suggest closing it was planing with the Delta and then open it when you're done.
Layne
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:07:54 GMT, "Gordon Menzies"

thanks you guys for the advice.
Yes I use hand planes ( that's what I used before I got my power planer). I guess a trip to home depot is the next step.
regards Gord
<Layne> wrote in message wrote:

new
loud) .

that

One thing you might consider. Around here (Chicagoland), the local Delta service center had refurb Delta 13" finishing planers (22-580) for $299. I picked one up and have been very happy with it so far. If you get it, you *must* get the dust collection port for it...it's so pointless to not have it I don't know why they don't sell it with it (ok, I do, but seriously, you need it like you need the power cord).
todd
Yeah, best bet is a No. 4 or No. 5 Stanley. Electric Powered ones are louder than----.
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:07:54 GMT, "Gordon Menzies"

Hi Gordon, I live in a townhouse complex too and I worried about noise too. I checked the bylaws for my complex and start 30 minutes later and finish 30 minutes earlier then the posted times. I have a delta planner, dust collector, cabinet saw, jointer, bandsaw, and routers that all make noise. In three years I have never had a complaint from any of the neighbors. I do close the door when using the tools but have it open for fresh air and visitors when working with non-tailed tools. You might think about putting some insulation on the cheap metal garage door. I used the foil covered bubble wrap from Home Depot and it cuts the heat lose, or build up and also cuts the noise. If you make the effort to be polite to the neighbors you will be on good ground if any one else complains. Enjoy
Lumber Yard near where I used to live put an insulated box around their 48 inch planner. Plywood and pink insulation, plenty of holes in it to allow wood in and out, adjust controls etc.. cut the noise level a great deal but still not silent.

new
.
that