Q: Sandpaper- bulk pricing.

Need advice/help from those of you who usually buy supplies in bulk. These prices sure seem better than what I usually see locally at the Borg, but frankly, I have _no_ experience with pricing out 50-packs, so I could be way off base here.
<http://store.yahoo.com/industrialsupply/abrasive-sheets-silicon-carbide-waterproof-9--by-11--paper-sheets.html
Never really paid much attention to grit composition either. ("Hey, it either sands or it doesn't.") So if, in your experience, this stuff is garbage speak right up.
But dang-- Grit ranges from about boulder sized, up to a microscopic gazillion grit. At a quarter or so a sheet, how bad could it be? ;>
Appreciate your input, thanks.
Michael
Michael Baglio writes:

Can't speak for or against the company, but silicon carbide is the preferred wet and dry abrasive (dry only is a pale gray color usually). Best for rubbing out, sanding between coats.
Obviously, the coarser grits would be useful for cleaning up and taking down to size, too. If I weren't semi-packing to move, I'd order a pack or 2 to check the stuff out. Might make a fantastic paper for Scary Sharp, too, running all the way to 2500 grit and letting you go with a slurry if you want, or plain ol' dry.
Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
On 07 Apr 2004 09:56:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Yep, pretty much what I was thinking. Send me your new address. At 50 sheets per, I'll never go through that much of the higher grits. (Famous last words.) I'll mail ya some.
Michael
Michael Baglio writes:

Now that's an offer I can't refuse. Don't even want to.
But you may be amazed at how fast they go.
Charlie Self "Adam and Eve had many advantages but the principal one was that they escaped teething." Mark Twain
I have found that a paper with a higher quality media will sand better and longer than the cheap stuff. But 9 times out of 10 the paper tears before is ever gets close to wearing out.
I have been using some Harbor Freight cheap cloth backed paper. It wears out pretty quick but never tears.

you might want to try www.industrialabrasives.com. Looks like they have some of the same papers available there. Would pay to compare pricing. I've started using their RHYNO brand of sandpapers and I'm pretty impressed with the quality and the longevity of the product.
FWIW Gary
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message

erproof-9--by-11--paper-sheets.html>
"Michael Baglio writes:

If you truly want to buy in bulk, say 100 pc minimum for any item, find a good local hardware store and get a bid.
I buy 9"x16 grit and 4-1/2"x24 grit resin discs this way at a price level none of the on-line places can touch.
Your bulk purchase helps the store meet minimum order quantities and they reward you for it, or at least my source does.
HTH
--
Lew