(Q) LA200 Delta Lathe

I have the opportunity to pick up a LA200 Delta lathe, almost new, for $160. My question is - is it worth a darned? I know it's Chinese, and only 1/2 HP - but with the 37 1/2" bed extension installed, could you turn spindles, pens, and small hollowed vessels with such a thing?
Thanks,
Greg G.

Yes, yes, and yes. The 200 is the Delta Midi lathe which is quite a good and solid small lathe. The Delta is a copy of Jet's mini lathe with a couple differences in switch placement and lock handle design but otherwise it's comparable.
I've had one since '01 and have turned literally hundreds of items - boxes, ornaments, bowls and vases. My lathe has performed like a champ and has handled full capacity wet wood very well - I've certainly pushed it's capabilities and it keeps chugging along. For the money you can't beat this lathe - I think it's more lathe than the next level up.
Do a google group search on the lathe in the rec.crafts.woodturning group - you'll find it's a solid buy.
____

The problem in this country is that the bar is constantly being lowered;
Fly-by-Night CC said:

I DAGS on the above, and noticed many seemed to prefer the Jet.
Complaints on the Delta included: Head and Tail stock which do not line up. Vibration and wobble Plastic handles breaking off General Chinese feel, fit and finish.
Some seemed to imply the Jet's 1/2 HP was more powerful than the Delta's 1/2 HP.
I don't know - could be tool snobbery, and some people can break an anvil in a sandbox. :-\

This is good to know, very few talked about it actually DOING anything. I wanted to try some green wood thin-wall vessels and glue-up patterned round "boxes".

Tried that - as mentioned above, many complaints - but see above caveat.
Thanks for the input!
Greg G.
I've gone a step further and got a Legacy. Try making pens with your Delta or Jet midi lathe that have a rope style spiral on them. Not only can I make pens, but ballasters for stairs without having to add a bed extension. Also, my spirals can be left hand or right hand twist. Plus I can make flutes, beads, open rope and even rosettes with my Legacy. And it is so simple to use, even the SWMBO can use it meaning she will approve the purchase of the tool if she is allowed to use it from time to time. Yes, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to use the Legacy and you don't need special chisels, just router bits which you can use elsewhere in the shop.
-- Woody
Check out my Web Page at:
http://community-1.webtv.net/WoodworkerJoe/WoodworkerJoesInfo
Where you will find:
******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03
* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03 * * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03 * * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03 * * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03 * * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03 * * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03