Q - How to cut a 1" Deep Rabbet

I'm building a bookshelf for my FIL. It's 36" wide with shelves ~10" deep. The shelf supports also serve as the stretchers between the uprights or vertical members. Think of an "H" with multiple cross- bars (6 if it matters, for 6 shelves) on the front and rear sections. These stretchers are 2" wide by X3/4" thick red oak and are M&T'd into the verticals. It won't be "library" strength, but an 83 year old doesn't read that many books, it's mostly to add something personal to his room at the "assisted living" center. (That move broke SWMBO's heart, and almost broke mine as well.)

The shelves will be 3/4" (OK, 23/32) Chinaply. The plan is to rabbet the inside edge of the stretchers 1/4" wide and 1" deep so the edges of the ply are hidden when it's dropped into the rabbet, they can't slide off but need no fastening, and there's a 1/4" lip to keep books from sliding off the front and back of the shelf.

Now, cutting the rabbet. Alternatives are:

Use the jointer, but I think its max rabbet depth is 1/2" so that may be a no-go. It'll take multiple passes in any case.

Use the router table and multiple passes along the fence with a 1/2" or 3/4" straight bit buried in the router table fence (big bit for strength vs using a 1/4" bit). 1" deep will take several passes. What's a reasonable max cut depth? 1/8", 1/4", 3/8"?

Use the TS with a sacrificial facing on the fence and a 1/4" dado stack against the sacrificial facing. I suspect I could cut the dado in 2 passes on the TS, 1 at 3/4" and another at 1". The sacrificial fence thought is 'cause I'm not comfortable trapping the board between the regular fence and a 1/4" dado stack, but maybe I'm being a CS.

'Course I could just glue strips along the backs of the stretchers and forget the rabbet idea entirely, but that ain't real artistic.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Tom B

I was wondering how someone could make a 1 inch deep rabbet on a 3/4 inch board. Finally, I see that you want a 1/4 inch deep rabbet that is 1 inch wide.

I can think of a couple of ways:

  1. You can do this with a stacked dado set in two passes.
  2. You can do this on a router table with a 1 inch diameter bit (perhaps) in one pass. It would be better to use two passes (1/8 and then 1/4).

You can also cut such a dado in the table saw in two passes. This method does require standing the piece on end which is far from safe.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

What's unartistic about that? I think it's a great idea. Done with the same wood, it would be nearly invisible, and anyone looking for a glue line on the under side of the stretchers should be invited to leave. If you'd prefer to have only a 1/2" wide "lip" at the front of the drawers, thickness your wood down to 1/2" before adding the glued-on

1/4" thick strip.
Reply to
alexy

Jim:

You're quite correct, the "deep" and "wide" depend on your orientation. I was thinking in the vertical, being an ex-pilot. Laying the board on its side makes it easier. A 1/4" deep rabbet in a 2" wide board is not a big problem. Call it a brain overload (spelled f*rt).

Regards.

Reply to
Tom B

Alexy:

I can't disagree. In fact, the strip method means I don't have to notch the shelves to clear the 3/4" uprights. Plus, it doesn't reduce the load bearing capabilities of the stretchers. I guess I was trying to avoid appearing to be lazy. Unusual, because, like Heinlein, I always "beware the lazy man, because he'll find a better way", or words to that effect.

I may take your pointed remark to the garashop and cogitate. I'd planned to plane down the stretchers on the front side by a 1/16 or so (to hide any minor mis-fit with the uprights) and then either round-over or chamfer the front edges anyway. so why not.

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom B

While you are there, cogitate about that lip sticking up in front of the shelf. Bad idea IMO. Why?

  1. Some books are wider than your shelf 2. Lip means books that fit can't be slid off. 3. Can't be slid off = PITA for 83 year old man. 4. Books aren't going to fall off without lip. 5. Lip makes shelf hard to clean
Reply to
dadiOH

If I understand correctly, you are cutting a 1/2" X 1" rabbet along the edge of your 2" pieces; I would use a regular blade and cut in 2 passes. Use featherboards or guide blocks clamped to the table and to the fence ito keep the stock aligned as you make the cut. It will help with consistency of the width and depth of the rabbet, though with the length being only 36" it should not be too difficult a job.

Reply to
Larry W

Larry gets the prize. Yep, I wouldn't have thought of doing it any other way. Two passes on the TS and you're goo dto go.

Do the 1" deep pass cut forts so when you do the 1/4" cut you easily leave the cut out stock on the table without having the stock rock on the edge. Use a sacrificial push stick to push both pieces apst the blade after the final cut.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
Tom B

That way saves setiing up the dado stack and will probably result in a smoother rabbet.

I'm getting an education from the various answers. Thanks.

Reply to
Tom B