Q Drill Press Cart

I am getting ready to put together my Grizzly G0485 bench top drill press and build a roll around cart for it, The drill press dimensions are 10X 16 for the base and the head is 20" deep. It weighs a little over a 100#. I'm planning on the cart being 24X24 and about 30" tall, to the top of the cart. Any thoughts on this size. Will this be big enough so the drill press is not tipsy, Also any thoughts on the height. I don't want it too tall, as I will have to move it around a lot, (small shop) If I had the room, I'd build a bench for it but that's not going to work for now, Thanks for any suggestions. CC
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 14:51:07 GMT, "CC"

If your wheels extend farther out than the drill press table, it will not tip with any downward forces on the table. The more weight you put at the bottom and the wider the base, the less tipsy it will be. My floor drill press has a heavy cast iron base, a good thing. A drill press table at chest height is about right.
I have an older Rockwell 32" radial DP that will fit on a bench top. It came with a steel stand that is 25" wide by 17" deep at the top and stands 32" tall. Originally it was meant to be mounted with the wide side facing the front. I now have the front of the drill press mounted so that the front is facing the 17" wide end and on the opposite end I have my Delta Mortising machine mounted. The stand reverse tapers slightly wider at the bottom only on the 17" sides so the bottom is approximately 28" x 17" I added a Rockler universal mobile base and everything is very sturdy.

Thanks for the information Leon and Phisherman, The cart will be 2X4 frame with flush top for mounting the drill press and a bottom shelf for storage. And adding weight if needed. I'm going to build 1 drawer under the top shelf using 18" full extension slides for bits, parts, etc. The shelves will be 23 7/8 square 3/4 laminate flake with 2x4 support under the top shelf. Drawer under that, I'd use ply but I don't have any that size at the moment, Using 3" wheels under it from Harbor Freight, Sounds like it will work ok with the information about the one's that are in use, CC

How tall are you? You want to be able to see the belt changing.

Step Stool

One more thing to get in your way or slip/fall off of.

So you are "still" able to reach every thing in your shop with out a stool? I have "2" step stools in my shop, and they have a place, out of the way, when not in use. I would never be able to get to every thing with out them having operated in the same garage for 25+ years.

The drill press is pretty tall, as compared to other one's that I've used, 40" from bottom of the base to top of the head, I think I am going to make the cart 25" tall. That will put the handle about chest high and I will be able to reach the top to move the belts. At that height I think it will be stable on that size base too. Thanks for all the replies CC