Q: Adjusting CMT Raised Panel Bits

I just got a set of CMT Raised Panel bits and did some test cuts. The problem I'm having is that the tongue on the panel is too narrow for the groove in the rails & stiles. The tongue on the panel is .210" in thickness while the groove is .255".

The set comes with some shims, but I used most of those to get the two rail/stile bits to match. I'm left with just 2 shims (.005" ea) to expand the raised panel cutter .045 inches. That's how far off it is.

Question: Can I use any copper washer from a hardware store as shims (providing the thickness is correct), or do these bits require a higher-quality shim because of the speeds at which they spin? Would you guys contact Sommerfeld (where I bought them) & ask for shims? I'm inclined to think I should be able to find the washers at the hardware store.

The actual width of the cutters to make the groove is .242", but they're out of plane by .013", so they are making a groove that is .255" (roughly 3/64" wider than the panel edge/tongue).

As always, thank you in advance.

Mike Dembroge

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

I would call CMT.

My set was perfectly aligned right out of the box. The video I got said they are tested for alignment at the factory.

Rob

Reply to
Rob