Q about rubbing alcohol & wood

Hey!

I hope this is a good place to ask this Q.

I just had a minor invasion of ants in and around my kitchen sink, and I was spraying them with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the bunch. Some of the alcohol got on the wood cabinets and trim around the sink and are now stained white. Is there a way to fix this easily?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
lhfreak

It "may" fix itself as the moisture from the alcohol evaporates. You can try rubbing it lightly with mineral oil to try and replace the moisture with the oil.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You might do well to deal with this problem first. If they are black with upright spurs in the middle of their back, they are likely carpenter ants, and you are much more likely to find them there than the little brown ones. You'll need a borax solution that they will think is food and take back to their nest, which can be some distance outside, perhaps in a rotting or older tree; a few drops of solution over several days. Look for entry points and plug them either with screening or plug solid.

My father had built a deck that had 12x12 posts in the corners. After he passed on I had to rebuild it, due to age and wear. In the process, I pushed a crowbar right through one of the posts riddled by ants. Don't get too excited though unless you see them repeatedly.

Reply to
Guess who

Reply to
nospambob

Amazingly, more of the same. Dampen a clean cloth with 100% alcohol. The alcohol should be absolutely dry, not rubbing alcohol and nothing less than 200 proof. You cab use 100% methanol but it evaporates much more quickly than ethanol so you will have to be fast. The cloth should be as wet as a dog's nose. CAREFULLY swipe the cloth over the blushed area one time. Sort of like an airplane doing a touch and go landing-takeoff. Don't press hard. The blush will disappear. You may need to do a second "approach". This has worked much better for me than putting various oil based liquids on the surface.

Good Luck.

"lhfreak" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Baron

Thanks all for the response! The peanut butter worked perfectly....amazing!

Thanks again!

Reply to
lhfreak

Rub with a dab of mayonnaise and soft cloth.

Reply to
Phisherman