Python memory use (psyco, C++)

Page 1 of 2
I understand that psyco significantly increases memory use. Is that for code or data? More specifically, if I've got a memory intensive application (it might use 100's of Mbytes of data), should I expect memory use to go up significantly under psyco?
Also, for that memory intensive application, how should I expect Python memory use to compare with C++? I'm really only interested in data; the memory needed to store the code is almost certainly insignificant in either case.
The data is a large number of small objects, interconnected in various data structures, not just one huge block of raw data.
I know all of the above is very vague, but I'm just trying to get a rough idea if a Python implementation is feasable (or at least plausable). If a C++ version takes 300 Mbytes and a Python version takes 1 Gig, that's probably not going to work. Are there any rules of thumb I could use to get a first-order estimate?

I'd say lumber costs (retail) times about 3, should get you in the ballpark. Higher if it's a particularly difficult species of wood to work, or if other advanced techniques are required. Of course, if you have to buy a new tool to do the job, half of that cost should be added as well.
Hope this helps...

Arrggggh. I posted that to the wrong newsgroup by accident. My bad.

That's OK, Roy. Just make sure you finish that software with a nice hand rubbed shellac. ;-)
Patriarch
Roy Smith wrote:

I have done that 2 or 3 times before also. Mine were a bit more personal however. I understand your feeling.
Hoyt W.

C++ == Neander Python == Normite.
No, that's not right. Java == Normite COBOL == Neander
Nope... Grrr...
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:25:21 +0000, patrick conroy wrote:

Assembler == Neander
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Huh!
Horizontal Microcode = Neander
Binary machine code = --Neander
Assembler = --Binary Machine code
C = Normite
APL = ++Normite
{ C++, Java, COBOL, Fortran, PL/I, BASIC, Pascal } = (Cro-Magnon)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:41:42 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote:

Sheesh, Morris - you'll get me remembering the 360/30 and 360/40 microcode. The 360/30 had a capacitive microcode made up of mylar keypunch cards with copper coating all stacked in a pile and squeezed together with an inflatable airbag. The 360/40 had TROS for microcode - same type of cards, but tannsformer/inductance based. And then there was the "datacell"/noodle snatcher - a whopping ten megabytes of storage in a rotating pie shaped drum with mag tape like strips that were snatched out the contraption , drug over the read/wriote heads and (hopefully) stuffed back in the drum. Didn't turn out to be a long term success...
-Doug (IBM 1966-1970 - card assembler)
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.
Doug Winterburn wrote:

The follow-on microcode storage device fared much better. The Igar development effort produced the 33FD (33xx for disk, FD for "flexible disc". The 33FD was originally intended as a microcode IPL device for FS (which never came to be). Concurrent with Igar was Gulliver, a sealed disk drive with mechanicals from the labs at Hursley (thus the Winchester name applied to the technology) capable of storing 40/64MB of data, depending on model; and Lynx, a printer with type embossed on something roughly similar to a bandsaw blade (I knew I could find something bordering on topicality in this!) - all three of which survived fairly well in one form or another. [There were a lot of woodworkers in that crew; and they were the people to talked me into buying my Unisauer and mentored my first serious woodworking projects.]
Seems like everybody liked the noodle muncher except the people who relied on 'em and the people who serviced 'em. I'd really wanted to play with one but never did.

--
Morris (1959- PPR & Intercom on paper tape for
RAM-less [& ROM-less] Bendix G-15)

VB.net = Crapsman VB Script = Harbor Freight PHP = Unisaw

You can go anything with grep, sed, and awk.

I've never seen anyone misspeel "perl" that way before.

Oh yea! Then what IS the correct way to "peel" perl? ;^}

There are _always_ better ways than the pathetically eclectic rubbish lister.
Unfortunately, the better ways are almost always more complex, and/or more difficult to learn/use.
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) writes:

Define "better" in this context.
Chris (making my living writing perl, more or less)
--
Chris Richmond | I don't speak for Intel & vise versa

_Wall_ said so. I figure _he_ knows what he's talking about, re: PERL.
'Better' is *highly* context-dependent. For any specific, _single_, application, there is almost always 'something' that is better, for any rational ranking basis.
The rubbish-lister's advantage is that is 'good enough' for a _very_wide_ variety of things. It doesn't _try_ to be 'best' at _anything_ -- being 'good enough' _is_ 'good enough'. <grin>

Oh yeah? Well, what would _he_ know about perl, anyway? Harrumpf.

Exactly my "leatherman" analogy, yup.
Dave Hinz

Hint (No, not the singular of 'hinz' :): Look up the name of the guy who _invented_ the language. <grin>

Er, yeah, I know that. I actually got an email from him years ago, answering a perl question I had put in one of the mailing lists. Must've been a worthy question but I can't remember what it was about anymore.