PVC for air

Page 3 of 4

Probably not. DAGS. The failure of PVC pipe with compressed air is pretty dramatic. The potential for injury and property damage is real.
--
Regards,

Do I? The intent was to point out that doing it well ("right" is ambiguous here) the first time allows you to be lazy, impatient, and full of hubris. Oh well, refer to the sky color on Usenet and someone will think you meant grey instead of blue. *snip*
Puckdropper

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:32:17 +0000 (UTC), Frank Stutzman

A week! How big is your shop anyway? I've plumbed an entire house with galvanized in less than a week.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

1,400 sq ft.
In my defense, I had never worked with black pipe before and I was probably not so effecient with the cutting and threading. Also didn't help that I changed by design once or twice while doing it.
--
Frank Stutzman

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 00:31:28 +0000 (UTC), Frank Stutzman

Huh! That's bigger than my house.

We'll go with the changing design excuse. That one always seems to work well for me. ;-) -- "We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:
[snip]
brilliant segue.
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 18:16:36 +0000, Frank Stutzman wrote:

How much is it going to cost you to tear the wall out and replace a busted pipe?

Assuming the explosion doesn't tear the wall out for you ;-)
Think "pipe bomb".
writes:

I think a pipe bomb has quite a bit more than 120 or so psi behind it.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Yeah, but the failure modes are the same. Copper, however, doesn't fracture at shop pressures - it peels back, which is a "safe" way to fail in a shop, since there's no flying shrapnel.
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 14:33:14 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

On the other hand, the ballistic coefficient of PVC shards is going to be pretty low.
This would be a good one for "Mythbusters".

I doubt it would go through, but why would you want to do it anyway? Your chances of a PVC failure or a glue joint failure are pretty high - very high compared to black pipe or copper. Even if you don't get hurt by it, you still have to deal with the repair to the lines.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Me too, but as I think about this something else comes to mind...
If the PVC failed, and the wall was tightly constructed, the inside of the wall would become quickly pressurized. If the airline was fed from a larger capacity tank that didn't run out of air as the air expanded to fill the wall, the would thing episode make for some interesting results.
The scary stuff would probably be contained, but I wouldn't want to be next to it when it went, or with my hands near a spinning blade. At the least, I'd have dirty underwear. <G>
One alternative not yet mentioned is plumbing with actual air hose.
My buddies large bicycle shop is done that way, as there were enough funky curves to make it worthwhile. He's got 10-12 outlets tee'd off of a basement compressor.
My own shop has a centrally located 50 foot hose reel hanging from the ceiling, with vinyl coated bicycle hooks strategically located. I just pull the hose to where I need it and put it in some hooks to keep it out of the way.
FWIW, the hooks are also great for temporary power cables, hanging bungee pickups for handheld tool dust hoses, etc...

Depends on what you want to do with the air. If you're planning on running some demanding air tools or painting, then this won't work very well. Too much restriction which results in poor delivery and pressure loss. For a bike shop that might be ok, but for some of the common tools found in a shop/garage it wouldn't be a very good solution.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Depends on the size of the hose. <G>

Wasn't the original post referring to 1/2" air hose?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I didn't think so. My original mention of flexible hose simply stated "air hose". The stuff in the bike shop is a product that I think comes from the commercial beverage dispensing industry. FWIW, this is a big bike shop, with lots of repair / build stations in multiple rooms, not what you'd typically see. Their usual use of compressed air is blow guns, so the demand can be pretty good during peak tune / clean season.
I'm with you all the way if the line is driving die grinders, air routers, and sanders all day long. I'd probably just run a pipe to that work area. For the average one or two person shop we talk about here, even 1/2" hose should be fine.

Ok - assumption on my part.

Pretty low demand by air compressor/delivery system standards.

Lots of guys want to do spray painting and that kind of delivery capacity, especially with smaller compressors, will hurt their efforts. For a small operation like most folks here have, and some simple blow gun, air nailer, etc., low air volume operations, I agree it could be suitable. If they envision larger air volume requirements though, I'd suggest some pipe - and these days that pipe would be copper. Mine is a black pipe system, and if I had it to do over again, I'd go copper.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Mike, I have spray painted with that setup. <G>