Push, pull, click click

Page 2 of 3
On 2/13/2016 9:59 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Good God!
It is intelligently designed.
Life is too short to analyze the stupid simple things in life.
Use your brain for God's sake.
We all have probably had issue with the slide the first time we encountered this.
How many Trophies do yo have???

He does have a good point, usability could probably be improved there. It's not a battle I'm inclined to fight.
http://thebloggess.com/2011/06/and-thats-why-you-should-learn-to-pick- your-battles/
NSFW language, but a worthwhile read.
Puckdropper
On 2/14/2016 8:46 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Usability is not the issue. I would say that drawers are removed more times by the installer than by the end user. And which way the lever is pushed has no effect on normal drawer operation.
I always thought if if the/a lever does not work in one direction, try the other. I'm betting three way switches really throw a wrench in the works. You know the ones that up is some times on and sometimes off, depending on the other switch position. LOL
And FWIW if the lever on both sides went in the same direction it would mean design changes, and the installer having to keep up with which slide goes on which side so that you would not end up with some drawer slides that get mounted up side down where some drawers require both lever to be pushed up and some pushed down. And every manufacturer would need to take that path. Symmetrical Push Buttons on these type slides did not last long, and they were essentially the answer to John's dilemma. Most slides have improved/progressed to this point. There would be more compromises if the slides were dumbed down.
It absolutely would require more attention on each and every installer to insure the slides did not get installed up side down and it would not guarantee that would happen. And if it happened you would be right back in the same place.
And yes he has a good point for those that need to be shown how to do everything.
It is a situation of way over thinking a solution to something that is not a considered to be a problem. If only there was a simpler way to "read" a book with out having to learn to read.

There is, Cartoons. ;)
On 2/14/2016 12:28 PM, OFWW wrote:

OR the Comics. ;~)
On 2/14/2016 12:57 PM, Leon wrote:

You old enough to remember the "Texas History Movies" cartoon/comic book they taught us Texas history out of?
https://sajunk.wordpress.com/2010/03/14/screwing-with-texas-history-the-early-years/
Loved that thing ... was the beginning of my love of Texas history.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

No, I'm not that old. :-)
I do recall "The Weekly Reader". Apparently it was still in publication until 2012 from 1928.

Oh, Heavens no! In this day of "participation trophies" they're "graphic novels"! Being that insensitive, you're gonna make someone cry, Leon.

Hmm, the one to my basement is ON, either up or down. To turn the light off, one has to put the switch in the middle. OK, I really gotta replace that thing some day. ;-)

On 2/13/2016 9:59 PM, John McCoy wrote:

And you mine. It is a practical truism that, with most designs/engineering endeavors, convenience generally comes with a price.
This is a case where it is arguably better to take the time to learn how something works, than to have additional, unnecessary cost and complexity crammed into a single purpose device.
Basically the convenience of "non-handed" trumps a small inconvenience for those of us who must occasionally spend some time on the left side of the bell curve. :)
YMMV ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/12/2016 4:37 PM, John McCoy wrote:

You just have to be intelligent enough to understand why. IMHO it is pretty darn intelligent as it speeds production to install and probably to manufacture.
If you released both sides in the same direction there would be a left and right. As it is you simply mount the slide and move on with no care as to left side or right side.

Yes, there is a certain beauty to the simplicity of it all, but why not note it on the wrapper for the noobies and HO's.
HomeOwners, LOL.
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 10:42:50 PM UTC-6, OFWW wrote:

So where would they put it so someone like you and McCoy would read it? In the Turner Diaries? How would you know to pay attention to a small instru ctive note when you are busy cramming your politics up the butts of the woo dworking community?
You and yours are exactly the kind of people that deserve NO help. Founder ing around with your self righteous political spew on this >>>woodworking<< < group is more fun than learning.
You and your political adversaries didn't obviously didn't get the message, or just don't care about your destructive behavior. Obviously you don't c are about the wishes of the serious woodworkers on this site, folks that ha ve reached out to help YOU specifically. I know I am sorry I did.
Now I can just hope that you and Doug, John and woodchuck finally piss each other off and get butt hurt enough to go away.
Robert
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 22:05:35 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Well Robert, there isn't much I can say at this point that wouldn't piss you off more. While the wood working info is more important to me here than some of the sidelines, I realize that the harm to you has already been done. And it isn't repairable from the way you are speaking.
All I can do is offer you my apologies for stepping on your toes, albeit inadvertently, as well as to the group.
It would be stupid of me to forget what info you gave me, so I won't be giving that help up. Sorry.
I also will not be walking away from the group, as even reading without replying is beneficiary to me and many others.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com...

!! SMACKDOWN !!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
http://i.imgur.com/GON8gT2.jpg
----Android NewsGroup Reader---- http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

As I always tell my wife, instructions are for sissies! LOL. Without instructions the seasoned woodworkers and cabinet makers appear to be magical and mysterious! :-)
And seriously then every screw would need to be labeled with which way to turn it for insertion or removal and I doubt that there would be enough room for that and the cancer warning label. :-)
Just yanking your chain. LOL

Hey, it doesn't matter how many times some people are told "clockwise" they get all confused.
On 2/13/2016 10:45 AM, OFWW wrote:

Clocks today don't move, they just blink.

...12:00