Push, pull, click click

As I always tell my wife, instructions are for sissies! LOL. Without instructions the seasoned woodworkers and cabinet makers appear to be magical and mysterious! :-)

And seriously then every screw would need to be labeled with which way to turn it for insertion or removal and I doubt that there would be enough room for that and the cancer warning label. :-)

Just yanking your chain. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Actually, not a mirror image. If it were a mirror image both sides would work the same. As it is both are identical, but you turn one upside down to mount it properly. Which one is upside down is anybody's guess. :-)

Reply to
Leon

LOL, you have some serious problems. And your "quote" was in error.

Reply to
OFWW

Hey, it doesn't matter how many times some people are told "clockwise" they get all confused.

Reply to
OFWW

They probably did somewhere in the fine print

Reply to
Markem

Clocks today don't move, they just blink.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Right. Identical parts, flipped rather than mirrored, is cheaper. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Well in all fairness mostly mirrored except for that little latch we are talking about. LOL

Reply to
Leon

It would sure help if left-handed ones were marked somehow. ;-)

I came close to replacing a lawn edger after I spent a week trying to (un)loosen the bolt that held the blade. Then there are the cars where half the lug nuts go the wrong way (at least the threads are visible).

Reply to
krw

...12:00

Reply to
krw

A good rule of thumb is to simply look at the normal direction that the object spins. Almost always you loosen the attachment nut or bolt in the same direction. For the nut or bolt to loosen by itself during operation it has to spin faster than the object that it is holding which is much less likely than if it loosened in the opposite direction.

Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth used to do that. The lug nuts loosened on the left side of the vehicle in the customary direction, counter clockwise. The right side loosened, clockwise. Countless lug nuts were twisted off in shops on those vehicles until they stopped that practice.

A nut or bolt is less likely to loosen and come off the farther it is located away from the center of rotation of what it is holding.

Reply to
Leon

Don't forget the warning that in California something about that screw might be known to cause cancer...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike Marlow wrote in news:n9nsf4$3ne$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

You should always wear latex gloves while screwing in California.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

*snip*
*snip*

If you move the screw in the tighten direction, sometimes it loosens enough for you to remove it. Covers both breaking a frozen screw loose and a left-handed screw.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Swingman wrote in news:Q-2dnWlV_cab9yPLnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

No, you kind of missed my point. The design is bad if the lever can move both ways, but only one has an effect. If the lever can only move one way, it's obvious when you're pushing the wrong way because it doesn't move. It's still symmetric, up on one side and down on the other, but it's user-friendly about it.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

OFWW wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They get even more confused about anticlockwise.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

A guy in maintenance was having a difficult time drilling out a pop rivet. He asked his boss to sharpen the bit. No better he told him "you can't sharpen a bit for crap". Joe pushed a button on the drill and said "now try it"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good God!

It is intelligently designed.

Life is too short to analyze the stupid simple things in life.

Use your brain for God's sake.

We all have probably had issue with the slide the first time we encountered this.

How many Trophies do yo have???

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

He does have a good point, usability could probably be improved there. It's not a battle I'm inclined to fight.

your-battles/

NSFW language, but a worthwhile read.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

And you mine. It is a practical truism that, with most designs/engineering endeavors, convenience generally comes with a price.

This is a case where it is arguably better to take the time to learn how something works, than to have additional, unnecessary cost and complexity crammed into a single purpose device.

Basically the convenience of "non-handed" trumps a small inconvenience for those of us who must occasionally spend some time on the left side of the bell curve. :)

YMMV ...

Reply to
Swingman