Pursuant to my Rant on font sizes

For information to all in this house, I am running a Mac G4, MOS 9.2.2, and Netscape 4.79 . I have increased the font size several times and that does not help with the tiny font size in those sites to which I referred. It seems to change the normal font to Bold, but the font size itself does not get any larger AFAICT. I have decided to just live with it and order from those sites which I can clearly read. I appreciate all of your comments. Hoyt W.
Can't speak for a MAC but for those of us who use REAL computers <BFG> the text size increases also.
Vic

and Netscape

help with the

normal font

decided to

appreciate

And how do you see anything when your REAL computer is stopped dead, shutting down with the latest Sasser virus or it's next varient? (BBFG!)

--
Thanks,

Ham

Bob Brogan wrote:

He said real computer, didn't say anything about the OS. My real computer with a real OS (Linux) doesn't have any of those problems, virus or fonts.
Eugene wrote:

Further, I've never had a virus shut down any of my Windows boxen, but I do keep the patches current and use a dedicated firewall.
--
--John

do
You guys better watch your step lest the self appointed "off topic" police catch you!
Frank

Many sites specify fixed font sizes, mainly because the site designers are idiots. Some sites have broken DTD's which cause modern gecko-derived engines to display very small fonts. Netscape 4.79 is very old and has little support for overriding font sizes. I'd recommend you used a gecko-based engine on your Mac system (Mozilla, Firefox) or use Safari. Current Mozilla engines have a "minimum font size" setting that will be unconditionally honored no matter how the HTML is coded on the site.
scott
I also hate sites that force you to read their idea of a perfect font size. If you are running high resolution, it comes out microscopic. Some of these site are major corporations that don't have knowledgeable designers creating their sites but delegate it to amateurs that think everyone is viewing their site on their type of equipment.
Along with fixed fonts, I also hate poor site designers that give you a menu of half a dozen choices, where it matters not which one you click, you get basically the same information formatted in a different manner.
writes:

and Netscape

help with the

normal font

decided to

appreciate
gecko-based
Mozilla
honored

I have the same problem with Firebird, a Mozilla browser. If I view the page in IE the text is fine.
--
McQualude

on my windows machine mozilla allows me to dynamically adjust font sizes on the fly. I suspect that the mac version does as well. try it...
Netscape 4.7x is ancient in software years. Look at some of the other browsers.
Or consider upgrading from 9.22 to Panther and use Safari.
djb
djb, I LIKE Netscape 4.79 and MOS 9.2.2. I absolutely dislike MOS 10X like the plague. Yes, I am outdated. But some of us are just that way and will remain so.
Did you contribute anything helpful on font size, or did I miss something important in your reply? hmw
Dave Balderstone wrote:

My point, which I apparently didn't make successfully, was that running very old web software sometimes means that sites don't work\ as you would like them to. Hidden in that point (so it was only inferred, and subtly inferred at that) is that perhaps you should RTFM, STFW and at least *LOOK* at the preference settings for the web browser you "LIKE".
So, my apologies for not being clear.
To avoid this situation I shall be sure to never offer you an opinion or assistance into the future.
I shall certainly never offer (and deliver) help via email to you again.
No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.
sigh.
Dave, I had no call to speak to you the way I did. I am sorry. I hope to welcome your comments in the future if you care to offer them. I know full well that I am running outdated software, but that is my choice. I will just live with the consequences of that. I just hate MOS X. Hoyt W.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

says...

I've tried them all, but IMNSHO Netscape 4.7 is still the best for reading email.
I did finally go to Mozilla for websites, because too many were hanging up my computer using 4.7.
I use Gravity for newsgroups.
And I'm still running Windows 95 because I haven't had the time to get Linux running again.
BTW, along with font size and strange color combinations, one of my pet peeves are the sites that want to play music or strange sounds for you. Of course, the music has nothing to do with the subject matter, the site builder just thought it'd be "neat". My speakers are normally turned off :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?